Dumaguete Info Search

Electronics & Appliances Polaris Credit Card Acceptance

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Rye83, May 25, 2021.

1. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    So they are being a bit cheeky when they say, "free installation".

What they mean is, "free mounting, free refrigerant and free 10 feet of copper."

Hiring an electrician to wire up the air-con is not included. (Not disclosed during purchase but verified when I contacted the sales guy after the installation guys told me about this.)

To me, "installation" means the unit will be installed and fully operational when the install team is finished. You don't install a car stereo and leave the wiring harness unplugged. I never installed a radio jammer without hooking up the power and testing if it worked first. It's a bit disingenuous, IMO

No worries though, the installers knew an electrician who was immediately available. I wanted it installed when they showed up today so I went with their extremely overpriced electrician. (I am almost certain the electrician's labor cost was cut between the three of them as the price was well above minimum wage in the US and they were all three talking about where they were going to drink their tanduay later on tonight.) Whatever, I have a working air-con now. Cold tiles and cold toilet seat, I'm happy with it. Let them enjoy their night out, I'm sure it will be pissed away and it will benefit them in no meaningful way.

I watched most of the install. Same corners cut that I would have made myself if I had the tools (nothing outrageous)...minus the electrician cutting into the mains without killing the power, while precariously balancing on a 3 meter high wall while doing so, first...even after I offered to go flip the breaker.

Overall I'm content with Centrum. They would be a potential option for any future appliance purchases. 4 star for Philippines standards.

• Informative Informative x 4
  2. shakey

shakey DI Member Veteran Navy

economic refugee
    Ratings:
    +295 / 8
    Blood Type:
    O-
    They accept foreign and domestic debit cards which they shoulder a fee required by BDO who processes debit card payments for the Philippines. Using debit cards is not a cash sale but the merchant must pay a fee to accept your debit card for a purchase.
    Polaris sells Dakin a premium brand who also trains their installers and technicians under the supervision of a
    bonafide engineer. They are busy, wait your turn.

Appliance Centrum has their own installers who I have used to install a Sharp inverter and they had the proper tools and knowledge to do the job right. I didn't have to wait they were here the next day removing the old and installing the new.

The two features not found on my other 6 ac/inverters was the horizontal sweep that moves cool air to the corners of the room and the BABY feature that draft free increases the air volume up and down to keep a constant temperature without drafts.

Regardless of the brand, regular disassembly and cleaning is a must. After a few years if your cooling isn't quite keeping up and want professional troubleshooting call JTP Refrigeration and Airconditioning. They chargeP500 cash and will give an estimate.

shakey

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Thanks for the info. I have already went with Centrum, bought a 2HP Sharp inverter model and the install is completed. It has the "baby" mode, along with a "sleep", "eco" and full blast mode. It also has on/off timers (timer based, not clock based). I haven't really used these features outside of just seeing how the unit reacts when the mode is activated as I'm not sure how they impact the electrical consumption/efficiency of the unit. I want to get a baseline for my electricity costs before messing with that stuff.

One feature it doesn't have is a wifi/smart remote feature like some of the higher models have that would connect to my home automation. It also doesn't show the current temperature or humidity on the remote. I have found a workaround to these issues by ordering a P800 smart universal IR remote that has temperature and humidity sensors built in from lazada. (This will hopefully also allow me to throw 4 additional remotes, my tv, FilProducts, fan, and robot vacuum remotes, into the drawer.) I am hoping with some smart automation and routine programming I can keep the air-con on for much longer without running up the electrical bill too much. Like turning the temperature up and eco-mode on at night (while having a fan kick on for comfort) or while I'm out of the house to keep the floors and walls at a reasonable temperature and humidity down to reduce load when bringing everything back down to the normal temperature.

Although, I might throw that idea out the window if the electricity bill gets ridiculous (once it starts to reach 4k) and just go with a set running time during the day...but I would REALLY like it to stay on as much as possible as the air-con stops my dog from drooling all over the place (cleaner floors) and my gf and dog find it very difficult to stay awake in the cooler temperatures (more quiet and "me" time).

How often should I have someone come and service the unit? Every quarter? Six months? What is a ballpark figure for the service cost? I will start off cleaning the filters myself about once a month.

4. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Eco-mode means different things on different devices.

I once had a window type air con that had a eco-mode where the air con shut off completely and turned on a separate fan. The plug had an outlet where the remote fan could be plugged in. This saves a lot of wear and tear on the air con. Because there is no air blowing through the coil when off it reduces how often it has to be cleaned. It saves you electricity.

I had not seen any split type with this type of eco feature that turns on a separate fan.

Does yours completely turn off the air con and then turn on a separate circular fan?

Can your home automation system do this?

Wow there are lots of low cost systems available on Shopee.

https://shopee.ph/LG-SPLIT-TYPE-AIRCON-DUAL-INVERTER-2HP-i.452825223.4390122008

https://shopee.ph/Brand-New-Samsung-1.5HP-Digital-Inverter-Split-Type-Aircon-i.451123355.11506537760

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The compressor still runs but with reduced power. The fan seems to be running at a higher speed. The air direction is pointed upwards. The is no secondary fan to turn on that I am aware of. I can automate a separate (from the air-con unit) oscillating fan to turn on whenever I want or by voice command.

I'm not sure if the universal IR remote can flip between the different modes, I haven't received it yet. I am certain that it will be able to adjust the temperature settings though. This should be good enough to reduce electricity costs.

I am skeptical of these listings. The shipping costs are far to low, the seller has no ratings, the product has no reviews. Smells like a scam to me.

Last edited: May 29, 2021