Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Pole Transformer problem

1. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    They do in deed but I am not sure if they will test private transformers especially older models but a call to customer services may help, whatever, it is going to cost as I said before I am convinced that Polaris should be consulted as this no doubt where it came from, I know on occasions that they will lend out Transformers if they undertake to help and do any work for the OP and his neighbours. One can only hope a solution can be found as I know that particular area has more than enough problems :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 6
  2. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    Noreco has a transformer test shop and meter calibration centre in Munganoa (sp). They should be able to do a megger (voltage test) and a ratio test to confirm the true condition of the transformer.
    10 years is not very old for a transformer. If the transformer is actually defective, maybe Noreco can recommend a rewind shop.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Polaris! That is where Noreco buy then From

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    It would seem the transformer is possibly not owned by Noreco but is owned by the property owner. Go see Polaris who can sell you a recon transformer and it will then be tested by Noreco before instal.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    What do you consider a reasonable load? I guarantee Noreco will see it as less than you do AND less than the average middle class filipino sees it. That is why foreigners with a "reasonable load" get their own transformer.

In my opinion the electrical grid has become like the road grid. Infrastructure was planned back when filipinos were not expected to have more than a motorcycle and a small a/c.

Now I look around my subdivision and see many, many homes with 3 air cons and 2 cars. All this with limited power supply, roads and parking. It will get worse before it gets better. Remember I said "in my opinion" That is code for I don't wan to argue with you about it, just sayin'.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    Well the customer does own the transformer. That would be the main reason. It's not going to fix itself.

• Like Like x 2
  7. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Wow! Good you fixed that. Your electrical service might be 50A or more, a real fire hazard when dissipating all that energy into the breaker if the breaker would have gone into complete failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  8. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    If your voltage is only 167 volts, then most likely the transformer is overloaded with too many houses coming off of it and/or your service drop is too long and/or undersized. If you rent then you are basically stuck, if you own then it is worthwhile to get your own transformer.

Lights blinking on and off could be the low voltage or a loose connection on your secondary somewhere. I'd ask the other neighbors that are coming off the transformer if they are having the same issue with blinking lights, if so then it is most likely the voltage, if not then I would look at connections.

In Tanjay we've had very good experiences dealing with NORECO. We own the transformer but part of the purchase price was for NORECO to hang it and make the connections. We had a large lizard climb across the bushings which blew the fuse at the cut out. We did not have a spare fuse but they went ahead and replaced it for nothing and we just called them after we bought one to replace the one they changed out. We also had an issue with our lights blinking; I checked all our secondary connections and they were straight so I figured the issue was the connection at the transformer. NORECO came out and confirmed the secondary connection at the transformer was loose so they tightened it up. Some snacks for the workers and everyone was happy.

For the original poster...from what I've heard, Polaris can test the transformer. Meg the windings as well as check the oil; if you have excessive moisture or other contaminants in the oil you lose the dielectric strength and that can cause the transformer to blow fuses, low oil level could also be a culprit. 10 years is not that old for a transformer, but again I have seen them go bad earlier than 10 years but not very often.

Shawn

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Noreco repaired my transformer when it blew a couple years ago, can’t remember if I was billed for their servive.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1