Dumaguete Info Search

Poor people have more children than rich people, isn't it strange?

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Digo, Apr 11, 2012.

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,586 / 1,017
    The Catholic Church may have a responsibility with this problem. If you look at many of the poor countries with a high birth rate, such as here, Brasil, Mexico, they are merely following the "no birth control" doctrine.

Side note: A close friend of mine who worked at a popular sports bar in Makati had 3 kids before she was 24. I asked her why, she said in the remote province (Mindoro in her case) there is nothing else to do but make love. Hmmm, okay with that.

2. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    'Can't feed, don't breed', a simple concept, simply ignored.

3. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    In a lot of these poor households with a huge gang of kids, the oldest girls see getting pregnant as a way to get forcibly gain their independence and get out of an overcrowded house.

Thus completing the "circle-of-poverty" phenomenium.

4. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    Thereby starting her own overcrowded house.....O-|

5. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    No remote required....just adjust the knobs.....:p

6. OP
    OP
    Digo

Digo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good morning!
    Thats true thats why nobody can stop it.
    The clever couple is the only one who can make their own decision
    in the end in making intelligent decision..

7. SteveB

SteveB DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I read a study in the '70's about birth control in some South American countries. In this case, no matter what they did (I don't remember who "they" are, it was a school project) to convince the local poor people to use various birth control methods, they were simply not interested. As stated earlier, having many children improves the odds that one might survive and do well, thus being able to support the parents as they get older or become sick. It had nothing to do with carrying on the family name nor did it have any kind of relation Darwin's theories. Very little concern seemed to be given to the welfare of the children themselves (just repeating what I remember from the article). That seems to l hold true in some (if not many) poor families here in the Philippines. I often run into young working people that end up giving almost everything they earn back to their parents and non-working sillings every time they have a specific need (or excuse). It is seems bred into them from birth and I cannot see how they could ever get ahead when they are constantly caught up in this cultural whirlpool that prevents them from saving money for their own future. The answer probably lies in general prosperity, but how do they there from here? I guess there is not quick solution.

As for the influence of the Catholic Church; just look at how much time and money the Church expended to protest against the Reproductive Health Bill. The Church's policies seem closely related to the article I just mentioned; with the law of averages, maybe lots of Catholics means that some will survive and eventually make enough money to support the Church. I hope I don't get struck by lightning for saying that, haha! I wonder if the Church expends as much effort promoting sound fishing practices or improving / increasing rice farming to reduce dependancy on imported primary food staples?

8. Rarity54f

Rarity54f DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    It is hard to understand how they do it without proper housing, etc. In the absence of other better things to do like watching TV, coming online, texting friends, etc. they probably find baby-making as their only means of entertainment.

9. Rarity54f

Rarity54f DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    It seems like they are following, "Can't feed then go to bed" LOL

10. muddyfeet

muddyfeet DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I only get one channel and it only stays on for a few minutes each time.