Dumaguete Info Search

POOR PINAY vs DIRTHY JOE ??

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by mokum, Sep 14, 2013.

1. fundiver198

fundiver198 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Its a bitching over being the victims of blatant racism from a leading politician simply because of our nationality. I am married to a Filipina myself. And when I look at, how her first boyfriend, who was a filipino, threated her, the notion that she needs to be warned against me or protected from marrying me is not only ridiculous but extremely offensive.

Adult female citizens of this – or any other – country don’t need that kind of “protection” against making their own personal choises. And its not the first time officious politicians have been at it here. There is already a mandatory seminar for women, who want to leave the country to join their foreign spouses, where they are warned about, what terrible person, they have married, and how horrible life is outside of the Philippines. The best, that can be said about this, is, that it is completely ridiculous and as waste of peoples time.

Until recently female philippine citizens were also not allowed to be au-pair in european countries. Reportedly because they were treated so bad, when they went there, that they had to be protected from their own choise to go. In reality however, the real reason was probably, that greedy politicians preferred them to work as maids in Middle Eastern countries under the OFW-program, because then their mandatory remittances can be taxed.

The law did not prevent anyone from being au-pair of course, it only meant, that every single au-pair had to pay about 25.000 peso in “lunch money” to a corrupt officer from BI in Manila. Which was of course great for the corrupt officers in BI but not for the girls.

If this ridiculous law is approved, foreign consulates in the Philippines will now have to issue “certificate of good moral character” and “certificate of gainful trade, business or employment” to those of their male citizens, who wish to get married in RP.

Should that happen, I hope my own consulate will just laugh at it, shake their head and issue these certificates to every single person, who ask for it :p

And don´t even get me started, that this is also a sexist law proposal. Because why is it only men, who need to optain these certificates? Women, who are about to get married, don´t need to have a good character or a job? Its ok if they are lazy or maybe even serial killers?

2. fundiver198

fundiver198 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    In addition, if politicians here actually wanted to do something about womens rights, its not like there is nowhere else to start. How about introducing and also enforcing a system, that make Filipino men contribute financially to the children, they produce outside of marriage? Or sometimes even within a marriage? That would help a lot to keep young mothers out of the prostitution industry. And also in some cases from marrying a 30-40 year older guy just in an attempt to get a bit of financial security for their child.

But of course such a law proposal would suggest, that problem in the Philippines originates from inside and not from outside. And it would put burdens on someone, who can actually vote. So from an unscrupulous politicians point of view, it would not be nearly as usefull as pointing fingers against those “bad foreigners”, who just come here to abuse innocent women.

3. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    I have met many Filipino couples here that have introduced themselves as married. Later they separated and admitted they never were married, even though they live together and produced children as a couple. They refer to each other as husband and wife. Most of the times the dad disappears and the lady fends for herself, without support. So in reality they never follow the laws of their own country.

Then a foreigner tries to marry a Filipino, making it a legal union and the country makes it as difficult as possible.

What is the advantage to bring our foreign culture here? We attempt to create a legal marriage by our standards, even legal adaptions of children of the wife from other men, and are challenged in many ways by the laws of the Philippines. Why shouldn't we just accept the Filipino culture of non-responsibility for a family... Do not marry, just live together till we do not like it anymore. No splitting of assets, legal battles etc... just a disappearing act. Give the kids to the Lolos and Lolas, who cherish them. This seems to be the Filipino culture of couples/marrieds.

Who are the crazy ones here, the Filipinos or the foreigners.?

4. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    there is a law here if you are living with a pinay for a certain time you are considered married and need to split assets, but this would only apply if you are a long nose.

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    The legal capacity document is a Philippine requirement, not a US requirement. If this new law had been in effect 10 years ago, I would not now be here married to my lovely asawa for 10 years.

Larry

6. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Interesting... what is time requirement?

Do you know the length of time before you are considered being married. Wouldn't this law override all the certificates, classes and Bola bola a foreigner has to go through to marry a filipina?

Can we just leave the house for a few days, like we have to leave the country for Immigration after a period of time, and then return to the family house so the clock starts running again or can we just get extensions by paying some pesos?

7. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    It's all in the family code, starting at article 147;

THE FAMILY CODE OF THE PHILIPPINES : Executive Order No. 209 - FULL TEXT - CHAN ROBLES VIRTUAL LAW LIBRARY

Larry

8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    "Article 148

In cases of cohabitation not falling under the preceding Article, only the properties acquired by both of the parties through their actual joint contribution of money, property, or industry shall be owned by them in common in proportion to their respective contributions. *In the absence of proof to the contrary, their contributions and corresponding shares are presumed to be equal. *The same rule and presumption shall apply to joint deposits of money and evidences of credit."

You had me worried for awhile. Very important factor here concerning civil unions in the law.