Dumaguete Info Search

Price for Tile Installation?

Discussion in 'Property Development' started by Fellow Traveler, Jul 31, 2019.

1. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,866 / 1,028
    Blood Type:
    A+
    That's a decent rate, my tiler cost me 450 a day and the work he did was shite, ended up firing him.

2. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Sorry to say John and although it may seem big headed of me? But I would not see him in my way, I do know you have little experience in Building you have told me that in person. Are you in a position where you can recommend a person to do work? Unless you have some experience in that particular trade it is better not to recommend any one, I'm sure your tiling is sound as you say but I have yet to see a Pinoy Tiling job that has been well thought out, to give only one example; often they start with a whole tile on one side and can end up with as little as quarter cut tile on the opposite side, or even worse end up with a half inch gap running to one inch and they fill with grout, that is the first clue on how good a tiler is.
    I must admit to being an amateur at this kind of stuff and perhaps I have more time to do it right than a professional has?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DAVE1952

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Sorry to sound a bit confused, after all I'm a stupid old Scotsman, but the shite Tiler, was that the one that laid the 150smtr where the tiles are popping up? or was it another shite guy that come after him? then what shite guy will you get to repair the shite that went before, shite guy one and shite guy two, what I really don't understand is who on earth would have a shite house that is 150smtr.

Oh I get it now the penny has finally dropped! I had forgotten you built a CHB house and they are all full of shite.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,625 / 2,894
    I have - you just saw it. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  5. DAVE1952

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Actually I enjoy much of what you post here, you can even talk sense (sometimes) haha, I also enjoy this site and suppose I may consider it one of my Hobbies? also I get the chance to to poke a little fun out of Englishmen and people who build CHB houses.
    On a serious note and back On Topic, for the past 18 months or so I have been involved with Pinoy building workers here, they have all been a big disappointment to me, you may get the odd one that is better than the rest but even then he will not be good at his job, actually who in their right mind would want to take a job on a Philippine building site working much of the time under the hot blazing sun? that in itself tells a lot about their mentality.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ozzyguy

Ozzyguy DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +364 / 182
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Someone that needs to work, someone that may not have other choices, someone that enjoys building. Lots of reasons, plus someone needs to do it otherwise who will build the houses we live in?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DAVE1952

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    You are 100% correct especially when you say they have no other choice, what else is there for someone who has been educated to the standard of a 10yr old in a first world country, you have got to work with these Guys to know just how bad they really are!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Senjenbing

Senjenbing DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines Navy

Milliways - at the end of time and matter
    Ratings:
    +424 / 198
    With some training and correct supervision these guys can work as well as anyone and turn out a decent job. What tends to be lacking is the training and supervision, then the "supervisor" has the audacity to blame the labourer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. DAVE1952

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Yes I tend to agree with you up to a point? you say correct supervision but for me I would say Constant supervision and then who will supervise the supervisor? as for training, that is a difficult one to get my head around, for example; I showed my guys how to square off the footprint of the house using the 345 Rule and then to measure corner to corner and adjust the small discrepancy we had to give a perfect rectangle, a few months later I tell them again to use the 345 rule and they have forgotten completely what to do, this sort of thing has happened to me many times over with these guys, it seems to me they retain nothing in their heads for any longer than the shortest period or they are not interested in their job?

Now on the subject of Tiling, so, the great Tiler rocks up with his labourer, to do a job for a householder that knows sweet fanny Adams about the process, likely the tiler knows SFA about his job as well, he will have little of any Tech knowledge on the subject, all he knows is; plonk the tiles on the floor edge to edge use any kind of cement mortar or adhesive, it does not matter to them!!! when the problems arise some time later they will be long gone and you are left with 150sqmtr of tiling failing one after the other.

10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    To imply there is not a single worker in the country that can lay tile, or learn to (and then retain that knowledge), is completely ridiculous. Enough with knocking local workers. You have more than made your point. You obviously aren't interested in hiring any local workers and you seem to believe you have all the knowledge needed to do it yourself. Stop blasting users who are recommending workers they have directly worked with and have seen their workmanship. I think you have said all that you need to say in this thread.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1