Dumaguete Info Search

Private Messages

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & User Feedback' started by Jack Peterson, Sep 24, 2014.

1. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    I concur indubitably my fine chap, shall we have a spot o tea as we dally about?(attempted in my finest Queen'slish) [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I am aware of the message problem (it is giving a database error and pounding my email). I'm working on it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Thank You, That's what I keep telling them
    [​IMG] Just gotta keep trying, to keep all smiling :wink::smile:

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It's a charset problem. vbulletin does not seem to be fully compatible with UTF-8 (in the admin panel the charset is set to ISO-8859-1). The charset for mysqli is set to utf8. I have tried setting the charset in the vb admin panel to UTF-8 and that didn't solve the problem. My next thought is to change the mysqli to the ISO charset but I don't know what will happen if I do. I don't want the whole thing to come crashing down from changing that setting.

So........if anyone here has any experience with this then, by all means, let me know.

FYI: the error message I am getting is this

MySQL Error : Illegal mix of collations for operation 'UNION'
    Error Number : 1271

and

MySQL Error : Illegal mix of collations (latin1_general_ci,IMPLICIT) and (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation 'ifnull'
    Error Number : 1267

This makes me think that there are 3 different charsets being used in my setup (UTF-8, ISO-8859-1 and LATIN1) causing the problem.

5. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    BTW: the first thing I need to know is what charset is compatible between all three. I have absolutely no working knowledge on this sh*t so I'm learning as I go.......which first involved with learning wtf a "charset" was. I have to learn another language....then the proper grammar usage to construct sentences......and then learn the cultural usage of words so that I don't offend the system. It's a bit slow going. Be warned that if you give me sh*t it's very possible that I will give you a temporary ban....as an outlet for all this frustration.

• Like Like x 1
  6. oztony

oztony DI Senior Member Blood Donor

Ratings:
    +211 / 39
  7. oztony

Ratings:
    +211 / 39
    Let me know if you want any research on the net for info , and I will try and assist , have lightning speed internet and unlimited download

MySQL Error : Illegal mix of collations for operation 'UNION'
    Error Number : 1271
    I have had a similar problem in the past. It's caused by mix of collations, most likely cause by differing column collations or default collation for strings.
    This is what you you can try
    • check that the collation is the same for all columns
    • check that the collation for your database is the same as your columns
    • cast all your columns to the same collation as your database and run your script - then remove the collations in your query to find which column is causing the problem
    Otherwise you query looks good.
    Some small feedback on format would be to use joins for readability. Putting all your tables in your 'from' sections and then linking everything in the where clause can get confusing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. oztony

Ratings:
    +211 / 39
    This page looked helpful , http://melp.nl/2011/01/about-mysql-u...ing-headaches/

When inserting UTF-8 data into the table using a latin1 connection, the following actually happens:

INSERT INTO t(s) VALUES('á');

The string inserted into the table is sent as the two bytes C3 and A1, which are in turn the characters ‘Ã’ [SUP]1[/SUP] and ‘¡’ (an inverted exclamation mark). MySQL interprets these characters separately and converts them into their UTF-8 counter parts, C2A1 and C383 respectively, taking up a total of 4 bytes of space.

9. Wrye

Wrye DI Junior Member ★ Forum Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Problem is that about half of the tables are in latin1_general_ci and the other half are in latin1_swedish_ci. Why vbulletin would do such a retarded thing is beyond me. I have to go through all of them and change them over.

Thanks for looking it up though.

A quote from your last link:
    Not good for someone just learning to to come across a problem involving "one of the most confusing topics ever".......

• Like Like x 2
  10. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Whoops. That's my non-admin profile so I can see what you guys see. Trying to find the tables I need to modify the charsets in.

• Like Like x 2