Dumaguete Info Search

Emergency Public market fruit vendors are using artifical ripping chemicals!

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Ares Alexakis, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Well, no one ever provided a link to a study that stated what the actual numbers were for the increased cancer risk, probably because no one knows, so I thought I would just pull a random one outta my :mooning: so Google can index this thread and add it to the list of sh*t sources I found when looking for the answer. :thumbsup:

However, just because something is in widespread use doesn't mean it is good for ya. Someone had to eventually come around and tell your generation to stop munching on those lead-based paint chips and asbestos. This chemical mentioned in the OP could be extremely nasty and, just like what happened with lead-based paint and asbestos, their manufacturers could very well be covering information/studies up that prove their dangers just so they can keep turning a profit. Or not, I dunno.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Kids used to play with mercury and asbestos in the science labs until about the late 1970's.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Looking at your later postings in this thread, I don't know if I should tell you what I have read! But, here goes: It seems calcium carbide has carcinogenic properties and "consumption of [fruits ripened by it] can affect eyes, liver, lungs, small intestine, along with other neurotoxic effects."

"Calcium carbide also contains traces of arsenic and phosphorous hydride". Both compounds are also carcinogenic.

But, we all know that many substances are deemed carcinogenic - it is the amount which enters the body (plus the susceptibility of the individual) that mostly would determine the outcome.

Only a fool would deem it unworthy to check fruit if there is an easy method (e.g. "“Fruits ripened with calcium carbide are too soft* and less tasty. They also have a shorter shelf life. An artificially ripened fruit would present a yellow outer skin, but the tissue inside would remain green and raw.") but at my age I need to care less than does a person of your age. [* But in the video on this thread a Filipina with experience in fruit ripening stated that artificially-ripened bananas are hard inside].

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I guess I'll provide my sources since nobody else wants to. It seems that most people cursing this chemical around the internets focus heavily on two of its byproducts.

So does nearly every food item you put in your face hole. Are these "traces of arsenic" at a level that is harmful to humans? You would think that if it was at dangerous levels they would say exactly how much arsenic was/could be found on fruit it was used on and just come right out and say it is dangerous to humans. I think they knew that adding the word "dangerous", "harmful", "toxic", etc anywhere in that sentence would have landed them in some legal troubles with the manufacturers of calcium carbide.

The language used in your post, much of it found verbatim on other websites, appears to be extremely misleading, so much so that I believe it to be done to fit a narrative. No idea what company, government agency or person put that out there or what they are wanting to accomplish is, but it appears they had a team of attorneys comb through their findings/press releases to make it sound as dangerous and scary as possible without risking a libel case from manufacturers.

Phosphorus hydride (Phosphine)

Seems whoever wrote that "both compounds are also carcinogenic" part forgot to mention that there is only evidence that Phosphine (Phosphorus Hydride) may be carcinogenic to certain animals (but even that data is "inadequate")...not humans. So again, it appears there is a narrative that this information needs to fit into. :wink:

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  5. IggyPop

IggyPop DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +115 / 50
    This got me thinking about the fruit salad i had as a healthy option in the restaurant for desert today.

6. Izak Greywolf

Izak Greywolf One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+