Dumaguete Info Search

Government & Education Best Posts in Thread: PUBLIC SCHOOLS: the BETTER OPTION

1. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    We tried to enrol our son into a public school when first arriving in Phils. Would not accept him as we could not provide school achievement records for each and every year from his schooling in UK. There were a couple of gaps. Top and bottom of it was that DepEd needed to be able to put a tick in every box, i.e. one for graduation each year. Anyone who knows about schooling in other countries will know that unlike the Philippines which adopts the US version of graduating or not at the end of each school year, the pupils progress to the next year regardless of their grasp of the previous year's teachings (that's not a right or wrong thing). So, private schooling was the only choice for us from the off, although we most likely would have switched to private anyway on moving to permanent location.

I agree with the view that teachers are getting 'money for old rope' this year. There job is now basically a few short video conferences with the kids, which sound very jolly from what I overhear, and then copying modules and marking. On my last visit to exchange modules at school, I overheard a parent complaining that he was spending far more time assisting his child with the school work than the teachers, so what was he paying for?

If there's one thing out of this for other potential movers to the Philippines to bear in mind, if you have school age kids, make sure you have complete school records, because there is a box to be ticked.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Not so for me. My mother worked in a factory making tin cans after the war and I was the one who came home from school to an empty house, cleaned out the hearth, made and lit the fire and pealed the potatoes and put them on the gas so they were ready when she came home from the factory. I was 6 and thought nothing of it. Just something I had to do before I could go out and play before dinner time.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    With all the low cost college educated teachers here, parents have the option of forming their own home schools. Use the home schooling curriculum from your home country and hire a local college grad to teach it.

Groups of parents with students in the same grade can get together and pool their resources. This would require collaboration which many find challenging.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. hiddenuser

hiddenuser Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

you know for all the discussions we have here about cultural differences and most of the time some of the issues we have with the thinking here, i am of the opinion most of us live here because we like it better than where we came from. it is true for me even if you discount the financial advantage most of us have here, which for me i consider to be icing on the cake.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Roadwitch80

Roadwitch80 DI Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 62
    Not an attempt at anything. I was asked and I merely answered. Nothing more to it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Getting back on topic. I have dealt with education in the CA and I can tell you home schooling and online schooling both have their challenges. To a motivated child, home schooling can work pretty well, but many aren't that motivated, which means the parents need to intervene. I've also found the quality of the online schooling not as good or challenging as in classroom instruction. Home schooling essentially makes the parent the teacher. This can work good early in the education, but how many parents are up to calculus and physics. Many of which never took the subject or have long ago forgotten the subject. Teachers get paid a good salary as it's not something you can just take someone off the street to do the job. On the teacher side, online schooling seems to make their job a lot easier.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  7. Glendazumba

Glendazumba DI Forum Adept

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Overcrowded classrooms,poor facilities, most students come from not-so-educated families (where everything starts), teachers are burdened with loads of requirements, paper work, parents couldn’t afford private tutors for their children who are often absent because they have nothing to eat, it is raining and they need to cross rivers and climb mountains and countless of other reasons why achieving quality education is a rough road to tred

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. Ozzyguy

Ozzyguy DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +364 / 182
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Interesting thread and I did post something awhile back about home schooling. When the Covid restrictions are lifted we intend moving to Valencia but the schooling we have concerns about. My wife is strongly considering doing home school with the Australian curriculum.

Would be good to hire a teacher and share between a few family's.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    A relative who is a retired elementary school teacher told me in the 2008 time frame that “the language of instruction in our public schools is English”. Maybe that was the way it was supposed to be but I heard even then that this rule was not always enforced. Today I suspect it is not even a rule anymore, given the penchant to favor local native culture and language.

Be that as it may, the people are not doing their kids any favors in suppressing English;

1) it is incorrect to associate it it with a colonial mentality because English is international, not the “American” language where many languages are spoken including the one from England, Spanish being a close number 2 followed by a host of others and Tagalog and Cebuano themselves are not rare.

2) denying kids fluency in the international language just sets them back from kids in other countries who must learn it, even in China. It is a large price to pay to free one’s mindset of a perceived colonial mentality, which it is not; it is an international mentality and that is a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    The private schools that import foreign teachers must pay salaries competitive to first world countries.

I imagine that the tuition for one of these schools is about 20K php per month. Parents can pay for a local teacher to individually teach one child using curriculum from their home country for about the same cost.

Two children and the parents are actually saving money by hiring a personal teacher.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2