Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Questions Concerning Quarantine Rules and Guidelines - Business Hours

1. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Like learning anything, learning how to do quarantine takes practice. Not as much practice as it takes to learn Bisaya but some practice nonetheless.

Filipinos can be proud that the Philippine government is doing a better job at this than most other countries. Nearby, Taiwan shows the world that a community well trained in how to do quarantine can easily cope with the coronavirus. Meanwhile other more affluent countries are failing at this horribly.

So Filipinos need a little practice in how to do quarantine.

The local situation is worse than we know. Currently, with very little testing, there are two confirmed cases in the local hospitals. We know statistically that only 20% of cases need hospitalization and another 20% who do not feel any symptoms leaving 60% who feel sick. Therefore, there should be another 6 infected people that feel sick and 2 others who feel healthy but are contagious and are walking around among us.

Time is of the essence! Because number of infections can grow exponentially very quickly, we need to learn how to do quarantine in advance of the outbreak. In other countries the number of contagious people can easily double every three days. In two weeks (approx 15 days) There will be 5 doubling. 8 people becomes 8 + 16 + 32 + 64 + 128 + 256.

448 contagious people is too many for the health department to do contact tracing and the system becomes out of control. (448 contagious + 56 recovered)

This is why, we as a community, need to learn how to do quarantine well. Consider this first quarantine as practice and insurance. Like a military that does war games to hone their skills and discover their weaknesses we need to do germ games to practice our ability to do quarantine.

As residents of Negros we have no choice but to stay healthy. When the virus flares up around the world there will be no one who will send us medical equipment to treat the sick.

Let's hope we are not to late and as a community, we pull together to learn how to do quarantine well.

Internationally speaking economics and the strength of currencies is relative to the strength of each countries economy. If Filipinos learn to do quarantine as well as the Taiwanese, they will be rewarded with a prosperous economy. Considering how things are going in the US and Europe, in two years Filipinos may be using US dollars as toilet paper.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I am not sure what forms of testing are available in the country but, sure, you are correct that a test performed days before they fly will have little bearing on their Covid-19 status if they mix with others in the intervening days. It will only eliminate those definitely infected at the time - which is, of course, a good thing.

If I had to design a methodology, I would say:

1. Test a few days before flying - enough time to get results back (and, obviously, eliminate the positives from flying).
    2. Put the tested persons in guarded individual quarantine for those few days (families together). In fact, they should already be in quarantine and the swab taken there.
    3. Test temperature and check other signs (e.g. coughs) and then take them, fully showered and in fresh clothes and mask, to the airport in a bus with social distancing.
    4. Either re-do the test on arrival and quarantine until results are available or put them in guarded quarantine upon arrival for 14 days.

It might seem that if steps 1 to 3 are performed accurately then step 4 is not required - but better to be water-tight as test results are, I believe, not 100% correct. The putting of families together is a risk, but young children simply cannot be traumatised by being held separately. I suppose, therefore, that families who quarantined together in stage 2 should have to do stage 4 on arrival.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    And what about all the people and staff on the plane and then every person they come in contact with once they hit the ground here? It sounds like unnecessary risk if they want to keep the numbers down and lower the risk of infection of government and airline employees. Nobody should be traveling throughout the country unless they are testing negative. I know it sucks to have to foot the bill for testing and quarantine but they are currently trying to keep this from spreading, not save anyone a few pesos. The local government knows they can't really rely on local government employees to competently enforce testing and quarantine and it is best to put the burden on Manila. Dumaguete and the surrounding area is just too small and too many people are connected to avoid heads being turned the other way for a few pesos or a few phone calls.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. OzeMike

OzeMike DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +621 / 46
    Blood Type:
    O+
    They are wanting returning residents to have the swab test certified negative before getting on the plane or ship to Negros Oriental... then they will still go into 14 days guarded quarantine on arrival (current requirement).

I have read the swab test will cost each LSI P8, 500

This will cost my partner and her son stranded in Manila P17,000 and then 14 days in a LGU hotel at P900 a night... or free if they go to the city gym or other location... many people and shared toilets so no thank you.

I think many Negros Oriental LSIs will not be able to afford these swab tests before being allowed to board the plane or ship.....plus the time elapsed since swab taken then travel time means they could be infected in that time when arriving anyway. Better they do the Rapid Test here on arrival (only P1, 500) and then LGU quarantine until a negative result obtained.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Yeah. First you give people two half days per week to do their shopping and then you let the shops close for three days of that week? Sometimes I really wonder what these people smoke.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 1,261
    This photo is from FB. It is supposed to be the line up at Banilad and it's 2 miles long according to the post.
    If you actually get a pass that will allow you into Duma.
    HOW BADLY DO YOU WANT TO GO THERE?
    Banilad crowd.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    for my understanding, with this new declaration all the quarantine measures are more or less useless - everybody can go anywhere in the neighbourhood to buy daily needs, whatever this is and wherever. nearby can be in 10 meter distance or 1000 meter, it is not defined. ah, but ....stay at home. q-pass limit.jpg

• Informative Informative x 4
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Here is how I understand it. You have three (possibly four) levels of quarantine:

1. Federal/National Quarantine- This would be the president of the Philippines closing international airport, dealing with inter-provincial travel/trade, national borders and giving guidance to lower levels of government. (This one doesn't really matter because currently you aren't even making it out of the province.)

2. Provincial Quarantine - This would be the governor of the province ensuring the closing domestic ports and public transportation, protecting provincial borders, saying where you can travel, deciding when and what measures should to be taken during quarantine for the entire province and giving guidance to lower levels of government.

3. City/Municipality Quarantine - Mayors can add additional measures/restrictions to the Governor's quarantine and make exemptions for certain types of business.

And possibly:
    4. Barangay Quarantine - Barangay Captains issue and check passes and may be able to decide who can come and go into they barangays. They may also be able to add additional measures.

I interpret this to mean that the quarantine measures issued by the Governor's office to apply to the entire province. You definitely need to familiarize yourself with these as they should apply in every Municipality. If the mayor of your city/town/municipality had been quiet on the issue go with what the governor has put out.

Since Dumaguete's mayor has added additional measures (the color coding system/specific PPE retirements) you should learn these requirements if you plan on traveling to Dumaguete. But things that the Dumaguete mayor says do not apply to Valencia, Bacong, etc.

If your Barangay is not allowing anyone in that isn't a resident of that Barangay then you should know that as well.

I think of it like a military command structure: your CO/Top says something needs to happen. Then your platoon sergeant passes that down to the squad leaders and then down to the privates. If you have served in the military (and I know you have) you know that each time the task is handed down to the next in charge additional requirements and steps can be added but no matter how idiotic your squad leader is you still have to complete those additional idiotic tasks. The actual task and bigger picture put out by the command doesn't really matter. Be a good little private and do as your told.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Its open again now but there is some confusion on which days as its limited.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    • Thanks Thanks x 3