Dumaguete Info Search

Quotes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by john boy, Apr 25, 2009.

1. OP
    OP
    john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    " You can't stop people from shooting at you, but you don't have to give them the ammunition!"

"He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity"

Extract from Word for Today

2. OP
    OP
    john boy

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Button up your lip securely
    'gainst the words that bring a tear,
    But be swift with words of comfort,
    Words of praise and words of cheer.-Loucks

extract from Our Daily Bread

3. OP
    OP
    john boy

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    I started this Thread with the above quote, so I will end with the same quote.
    It was fun while it lasted, but things have changed, regarding some members.
    20,000 plus views is not bad, thanks to all who participated, I hope it carrys on.
    So Goodbye God Bless.......JB

4. gypsy

gypsy DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    "The walls we build around us to keep out the sadness also keep out the joy."

5. MrClean

MrClean DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    “Religion has ever filled the mind of man with darkness, and kept him in ignorance of his real duties and true interests. It is only by dispelling the clouds and phantoms of Religion, that we shall discover Truth, Reason, and Morality. Religion diverts us from the causes of evils, and from the remedies which nature prescribes; far from curing, it only aggravates, multiplies, and perpetuates them” ~ Baron D’Holbach

6. MrClean

MrClean DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    "To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."
    --E.E. Cummings

7. MrClean

MrClean DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    "I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of... Each of those churches accuse the other of unbelief; and for my own part, I disbelieve them all" ~ Thomas Paine

8. MrClean

MrClean DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    "The Modern Conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness"
    ~John Kenneth Galbraith

9. MrClean

MrClean DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    ‎"Really knowing is good. Not knowing, or refusing to know, is bad, or amoral, at least. You can't act if you don't know. Acting without knowing takes you right off the cliff." — Ray Bradbury (Something Wicked This Way Comes)

"But the carnival doesn't care if it stinks by moonlight instead of sun, so long as it gorges on fear and pain. That's the fuel, the vapor that spins the carousel, the raw stuffs of terror, the excruciating agony of guilt, the scream from real or imagined wounds." — Ray Bradbury (Something Wicked This Way Comes)

‎" He gathered the boy somewhat closer and thought, Evil has ... only the power that we give it. I give you nothing. I take back. Starve. Starve. Starve." — Ray Bradbury (Something Wicked This Way Comes)

‎"Everything that happens before Death is what counts."
    — Ray Bradbury ,Something Wicked This Way Comes)

‎"The stuff of nightmare is their plain bread. They butter it with pain. They set their clocks by deathwatch beetles, and thrive the centuries. They were the men with the leather-ribbon whips who sweated up the Pyramids seasoning it with other people's salt and other people's cracked hearts. They coursed Europe on the White Horses of the Plague. They whispered to Caesar that he was mortal, then sold daggers at half-price in the grand March sale. Some must have been lazing clowns, foot props for emperors, princes, and epileptic popes. Then out on the road, Gypsies in time, their populations grew as the world grew, spread, and there was more delicious variety of pain to thrive on. The train put wheels under them and here they run down the log road out of the Gothic and baroque; look at their wagons and coaches, the carving like medieval shrines, all of it stuff once drawn by horses, mules, or, maybe, men." — Ray Bradbury (Something Wicked This Way Comes)

" …Beware the autumn people...
    For some, autumn comes early, stays late, through life, where October follows September and November touches October and then instead of December and Christ’s birth there is no Bethlehem Star, no rejoicing, but September comes again and old October and so on down the years, with no winter, spring or revivifying summer.
    For these beings, fall is the only normal season, the only weather, there be no choice beyond.
    Where do they come from? The dust.
    Where do they go? The grave.
    Does blood stir their veins? No, the night wind.
    What ticks in their head? The worm.
    What speaks through their mouth? The toad.
    What sees from their eye? The snake.
    What hears with their ear? The abyss between the stars.
    They sift the human storm for souls, eat flesh of reason, fill tombs with sinners. They frenzy forth. In gusts they beetle-scurry, creep, thread, filter, motion, make all moons sullen, and surely cloud all clear-run waters. The spider-web hears them, trembles—breaks.
    Such are the autumn people.
    Beware of them."
    -- Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

10. MrClean

MrClean DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    “Today’s so-called ‘conservatives’ don’t even know what the word means. They think I’ve turned liberal because I believe a woman has a right to an abortion. That’s a decision that’s up to the pregnant woman, not up to the pope or some do-gooders or the Religious Right. It’s not a conservative issue at all.”
    ~Barry Goldwater

“While I am a great believer in the free enterprise system and all that it entails, I am an even stronger believer in the right of our people to live in a clean and pollution-free environment.”
    ~Barry Goldwater