Dumaguete Info Search

Vehicles & Servicing RACAL 3 WHEELER

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by marc.oz, Jun 16, 2016.

1. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    I know. I have a friend who got a good deal on a multicab and it's about the same situation. Many electrical problems, wiper motor has gone out twice, various mechanical problems. He doesn't drive much though. I drive a lot. I derive a lot of benefit from a better vehicle. If all the farther you drive is 5 km to market and 5 km back home, you don't need much of a vehicle.
    A friend of mine, her aunts multicab burned in front of Cangs about a year ago. It's a very real possibility.

2. Outcast

Outcast DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +335 / 128
    Multicabs, being converted and assembled in the Philippines by Filipinos, are only as good as the person/company assembling them. Some are good, some are bad. If one is not smart enough to tell the difference, or have someone that is smart enough to tell the difference help them, then they should probably avoid all types of vehicles in the Philippines entirely.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. robert k

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    As an automotive and diesel mechanic with more than 20 years experience...I will try to keep your advise in mind.:roflmao:

4. OP
    OP
    marc.oz

marc.oz DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Interesting comments. I guess at the end of the day "you only get what you pay for". It'd be unrealistic to expect a cheap vehicle of any type to perform in a way we would expect a unit 5 times more expensive. I thank everyone for the discussion and input, I seem to have it all clear now. I will be much better served by getting a brand new motorcycle for around 60k and attach a sidecar to it. Not only this will be a cheaper option but I am sure I'l l be able to sell it if I decide to upgrade in the future.

• Like Like x 2
  5. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    A little off topic, but I always thought the setup below was a better idea than the typical tricycle used in the Philippines because it has a mount that can be removed so the motorcycle can be used without the passenger carrier. In addition, it carries 4 people much more comfortably. I saw this in Siem Reap. Don't know what they cost, but I always wondered if there was a market for this in places like Dumaguete. Might be a good business opportunity if the importation tax doesn't double the price.

siem_reap_transport_remok.jpg

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Nice Idea But The Bike is either Registered as a Solo machine or a Tricycle If it is Registered as a Solo machine I would not be too sure of the Legality of a passenger carrier
    Just my thoughts on this.

7. cabb

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Shoot Jack. I've seen a solo bike carrying 4-5 people. What's the difference? :smile:

Classifying it as a Solo machine might be a good thing if it costs less to register. Technically speaking I guess it's more like a trailer. Dare I ask....are there laws against trailers that carry people? The tricycle lobby will likely put a quick end to this idea. :wink:

8. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Hab Hab is a way of Life in the provinces and here in Dumaguete but I fear soon to be outlawed :roflmao: (As if)
    Not sure about the Trailer thing but My nieghbour was Fined for attaching a Sidecar on his Solo Registered Bike, Then using it as a Tricycle because his main Bike was Kaput and he needed to work. We have a member here who has done this I wonder if he will know the Score.
    having a Trailer for Goods seems to me to be OK but fare paying Passengers ( Or family ) ????? who knows. It would be about Stability and I guess Insurance (where any was evident)

9. robert k

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Why would the Philippines have to import it? I'm sure they could build it.

What keeps the people in the front of that tuk-tuk- from falling out when a multibab backs into it, as has happened to me in a tricycle? I do like that you sit up higher in the tuk-tuk, better field of view but it doesn't look like it would carry more than the average commercial tricycle in Duma.

I have ridden in the tiny trikes various places, you don't see many like that in Duma.

10. cabb

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    I'm looking primarily from the owners perspective, where it is nice to have a multipurpose vehicle. You want to go to friends or riding around the trails you just take the trailer off. From a consumer perspective, I can say is I rode in both and prefer it, much more comfortable. As for falling out, I don't remember being worried about that, but it was 3-4 years ago.