Dumaguete Info Search

Rain Sample

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by kelpguy, Mar 10, 2015.

1. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    i thot this might be of interest to the fresh air buffs on the group.

i record the rains for personal interest and attached is a foto of the recent sunday evening rain which happened after a couple of weeks of no recordable precipitation.
    the left image is straight out of the rain collection device and the right image is after the sample rested for a couple of hours.

sample taken on 9 march, 5k south of valencia at 400m (the boondocks). i imagine the rains downwind of duma must be a tad bit thicker. the samples are clear with daily rains but a rainless period of as little as 3 days produces colored samples.

good stuff, eh...

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Interesting stuff, it would be nice to have a little rain for a few days, we have had nothing to speak of for the last few weeks here, all the verges are very dry along the roads now. Looks like summer has come early this year!

3. tunji oluwajuyemi

tunji oluwajuyemi DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    Wow, not surprised... Philippines was the first place i ever stayed where i got sick every time it rained, and got a fever if i happened to spend any time out in the rain.. I left there for good because of such constant ills.. I was fine my first few trips back from philippines, but finally after my last exit, i have ever since been sick in the rain even back in the US or other countries.. Not as bad as in the philippines, but i think it left residual long term effects.. Not sure what it is, microbe, allergic reaction or what...
    Good info... I moved to the desert now just because of my ups and downs with the rain.. All started with exposure to rain in philippines 5 years ago..

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    What in the world is in that rain? I tried to search it but Google has failed miserably on the "Orange rainwater" request I made of it. Too early in the morning for me.

5. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    It could be just dust, some of the soils on negros and surrounding islands are reddish in colour. And also with the amihan winds still blowing keeps it up there until the rain clears the air.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    How right I feel you are, When I lived in Gibraltar, the rain was a dark reddish colour at times, it was heavy with Sahara desert sand particles blown over the Straits from Morocco, which was only 7.5 miles away as the crow flew On Drying it left a red oxide colour residue on Just about everything, So nothing Surprises me here.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    Wonderful. Looks like noncombustible diesel oil.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    Interesting observation kelpguy, We live in Amlan a bit up in the mountain and I noticed something similar here.
    Cleaning our rain water tanks (32 and 47 ton) last week for the first time since May 2012 we found a thin layer of about 5 mm sand/dust on the bottoms. Undisturbed it leaves the water clear and I did not found any of it in my end filter.
    There's no dirt road or much traffic near our property. This dust must have brought in airborne from far away. I don't remember or we had the same when cleaning in 2012.
    I never saw dust clouds, the atmosphere is generally so clear we can see Canloan mountain distance about 100 km.
    Up to now I did not realize that there are so many dust particles in this apparently very clear air. How must it be in Cty's like manila or Cebu??

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Creating a thread about this one. Yikes! :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  10. WATSISNAME

WATSISNAME DI Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 100
    do you think theres any chance the dust may have been in the rain guage when it rained, and not in then rain itself ????