Dumaguete Info Search

Rainfall 2017

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by Edward K, Aug 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Yes, but I do understand that other people don't see outside the box, or are just not interested in tinkering with their power network. Just a few points that come to mind:

Of course it is not sunny enough the last few days to fully recharge a normal, large, off grid solar battery bank BUT we wouldn't do it that way (and even if we did it is not sunny enough to use the air conditioner which is what sucks the battery bank dry).

Of course there are brownouts every day but they don't last all day, the power comes on long enough during the day to recharge your battery bank which is then good for another 6 to 8 hour brown out.

Of course I don't want to spend a huge amount of money on a grid tie in system that does not work during a brown out. I want an auxiliary system that will save me money on sunny days through solar, carry me through brown outs on bad days because of the battery system, be cheap to install (because I'm not going all survivalist off grid here), and still give me all the benefits of being on the Noreco grid because I'm not burning any bridges and I still want access to easy on power (when its working).

What did we budget for all that, Steve? About US$2,000 or less by sourcing the parts and doing it ourselves? I'm going a bit high because if we think it can be done for US$1,500 then its more likely we would go over budget than under.

2. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    1. Think of a UPS you would have for your computer that lasts long enough for you to save your work and turn it off. Mine is on serious steroids, switches automatically same as a UPS but I have mine running my laptop, tv, soundbar, wifi, router, and fan. Instead of a few minutes it lasts 6+ hours.

2. I did it myself

3. Northstar (Missouri USA) Blue+, 170Ah NSB 100FT BLUE+

Pic 1 is complete installation, pic 2 has a standard APC 650 UPS in front for size comparison

20170809_103643.jpg 20170809_110838.jpg

3. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Yup, we figured us$2,000 would get through any brownout and knock the electric bill down by over 90%.

4. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,092 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Hi I'm Dave a recently joined member on this site, moved here from Scotland and at the moment live in Mactan/Cebu, I am considering moving to Dumaguete area as the Traffic and pollution that goes with it is so very bad here, however on reading this topic on power outages it gives me cause for concern, this does happen in Mactan also, but less than once a month I would say.
    Solar panels, I have these fitted to my house back in Scotland tied to the grid and get a return of around £650=$850 a year from them, if I lived in the south of UK I would get around £150=$200 more from them, (mind you what Scotsman would want to live there it is full of English Ha-ha) the cost to install a 4KW system there was £6000.
    Even in the cool cloudy winter there in Scotland I would still produce some power but it did seem to need a glimmer of sun on them to get them kick started, over the course of one whole year the panels produce 3.4 megawatt hours.
    I would say to anyone living here that it is a no brainer, solar power is the way to go and I have no regrets having fitted it to my house back home (this is now rented out) if in time I do make the move to Dumaguete and build a house there, Solar panels will be foremost in my mind.

5. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466

Pollution in dumaguete is no better and gridlocked most of the time with trikes and trucks.
    As goes for solar there are several firms offering here now. There is a guy at the airport who sells the gear and seems to know alot about it and is the cheapest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,092 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.

Traffic problems are in every city I'm sure but in Mactan there is hardly anywhere to go to avoid it and because you have to cross bridges to get to the city they create a bottleneck, If/when I move to Dumaguete it would be someplace like Valencia, I'm sure the air will be just that little bit less polluted there, no way would I live in any city centre.