Dumaguete Info Search

REAL FOOD & BEER - Just can't believe it

Discussion in 'Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment' started by Rhoody, May 24, 2008.

1. FilipinoGringo

FilipinoGringo Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +40 / 7
    Saw the menu. Casablanca-Hungarian Goulash? I don't get it. And it's a German Chef running the show. How about stick with German cuisine and change the name of the place.

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Casablanca runs a pretty popular restaurant and serves some good food. They have been around for quite some time as well. Just because the guy is German doesn't mean he can only serve German food or be restricted to German names for the place. Also worth noting that this post is from 2008.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Guenther is actually Austrian, to say he is still Operating and has quite a large Following, proves a point I think :wink:

JP :bag::whistling:

JP :bag::whistling:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. FilipinoGringo

FilipinoGringo Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +40 / 7
    Your the expert.

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Hardly. Food is a minor concern of mine. I concern myself more with the price-serving size ratio. I am familiar with Casablanca and they are one of the better, and more upscale, restaurants in Dumaguete. They might seem more expensive but once you compare the serving size to the price you are getting a pretty good deal....plus some pretty good food. I think the owner might have went with the Spanish name because of the Philippines historical ties to the Spanish....and the building's design reflects that of Spanish heritage....and it's "kind of" white. Many of the dishes on the menu are Austrian/German so he does serve quite a few of the dishes you would think he specializes in. Most all popular restaurants in Dumaguete serve both Western and Filipino food (it is necessary if you want to attract the locals....which you need to have to make any real money).

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Mogo51

Mogo51 DI Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 7
    When I get there next trip Jack, I will be headed for this restaurant. There is a German restaurant in Pattaya that I go to that serves pork knuckle for 350 bht
    what is the price of this dish there now Jack? I also eat Schnitzels at this restaurant in Pattaya regularly, one of my favourite dishes.

7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Whilst I frequent, the bar, Lunch is usualy just Snack, Dinner is not an Option here so I can't say the costs, but we have some members that eat there on a regular basis and maybe you will get a few more answers to the Question, but in the main it is not at the cheap end, having said that, you do get what you pay for.

JP :bag: :thumbsup:

8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Casablanca serves (or at least used to serve) pork knuckle. Plenty of Germans/Austrians around that are running restos, you shouldn't have any problem finding Schnitzel. Last time I was at La Fiesta (ran by a German) I had some very good yagersnitchel. I can't personally verify but I would think you would be likely to find schnitzels at Casablanca, Why Not and possibly Bogarts.

9. Oz-Roger

Oz-Roger DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Retired
    Ratings:
    +465 / 137
    We have eaten at Casablanca in the past, but then had some dodgy meals, :frown: so have not returned. One meal was offered as imported Italian fish, it was so tasteless and still full of ice from being frozen for so long, and probably thawed, frozen, thawed, frozen etc., etc., it was not edible, should never have been served, or even shown on the Menu. And, I was stupid enough not to realise it could be suss..........lol:banghead:......:asshat:......:geek:

10. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    I am surprised to hear the negative reports on Casablanca. I haven't been able to have dinner there for about 18 months but at that time it was arguably the best restaurant in town. What has happened?

• Agree Agree x 1