Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Recommend Motorcycle Tire and Place To Buy

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    But a fat rear street tire with minimal tread grooves look so much better on a sports bike than rain/multi-purpose tires. As long as you know what sand can do and don't lean into any blind curves too hard you will be fine. (You shouldn't be leaning too hard into any blind curves. No tire is going to save you when there is a trike, jeepney or Ceres bus parked in the middle of the road picking up/dropping of passengers and you are over-driving your brakes.)

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I prefer Shinko tires. You can order from Raddi, generally arrives within a week. Raddi recently opened a branch in Valencia, not sure if you can order their tires from there but they are much less busy than their other locations.

Tire manufacturers make different types of tires. You are going to have to do some research to see which type fits your needs. I like the balance of traction and wear that the Shinko Z rated F011 tire provides for big bikes (note: the tread pattern on these are definitely not designed for the rain). There is no need for a Z rated tire on a scooter or any bike that is incapable of going over 240kph.

The Michelin Pilot Power line of tires is one of the highest rated big bike tires out there. I've never used them but only because availability/price here. I did order a set in the US but my brother-in-law "borrowed" them from my parents garage before I was able to get back and ship them to the Philippines.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  3. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    or a dog.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    In reading the Michelin tire selection guide, generally speaking trail type on-road/off-road tries should be purchased for driving in this area. This is because the streets are not swept regularly. Dirt and sand gathers here and there. The road tires do not have circumferential grooves to reduce side slipping of the front tire in loose dirt or sand.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. koolaukid

koolaukid DI Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 3
    Yes, I recently got the tires for my girlfriend's Mio at Raddi Valencia. I've seen them for other bikes at the Main Raddi downtown. Sizing availability seems to be somewhat random but it seems there is a distributor in Manila as they appear locally with some regularity. There is also a guy on Facebook called "Corner Tires". He's here in Dumaguete and has good size availability but charged me a 1,000p premium per time over what he charges Filipino customers. So be careful if you deal with him.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. koolaukid

koolaukid DI Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 3
    Pirelli tires seem to be locally available. I've had extremely good luck with them over the years, both street only and on/off road. I've run dozens of tires, Michelin, Continentals and Pirelli, all good tires but Pirelli tires are locally available and easily comparable with the best street tires I've experienced, especially in the rain.

• Informative Informative x 2