Dumaguete Info Search

regular expat meetups in Dumaguete

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by baltoed, Aug 27, 2014.

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Met Shawn and his lovely wife, baltoed, RodCameron, Cletus, and Dave Meow at La Fiesta today. Great chicken curry.

2. oztony

oztony DI Senior Member Blood Donor

Ratings:
    +211 / 39
    Hope you guy's had a great day , and no doubt you did , Ed and Shawn are both fantastic company for a drink and chat , oh and you to Pat my friend , hope I get the chance to meet Cletus and Dave Meow when I am there next , regards Tony

3. OP
    OP
    baltoed

baltoed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +18 / 6
    There were others as some guys not connected with this forum started having poker parties there on Sunday .. the lot was surprising as it was quite full..

4. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I also had a great time meeting a couple guys I had not met before. It was very hospitable of Ed to show me and Cherry where they are living, a nice place and meeting Ed's wife and their dog was great.

The pumpkin beer I had was fantastic and hope Ed keeps brewing, I know I want to get some cases of what he can put out (I will return the bottles my friend); really good.

Shawn

• Like Like x 1
  5. Andrew

Andrew DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +151 / 57
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Darn it. I had my hopes up that there might be some kind of Expat 'meet up' organised? Not so formal/organised as e.g. InterNations - but at least something?
    I know you run the risk of meeting negative people full of their own self importance who assume they know everything about you upon first glance, but where's the 'community spirit'? (inviting alcohol related humour for sure:wink: If DC is indeed 'a cut above' other places - then why not SHOW IT!

It's all well and good saying "go to foreigner run places - that's where foreigners are" [Hello!!] but hang on - is that really that helpful or welcoming for new Expat residents? Is it therefore a case that everyone lives in their own bubble? Hmm...

However uncomfortable, inconvenient or soul destroying such events might be for existing established individuals 'in the know' - Forums such as DI have an [social or otherwise] obligation to provide the catalyst between virtual & real worlds. Good for business too! Just think - you can hold the events at one of your sponsor's venues (you scratch their back, they scratch yours) And happy sponsors = REVENUE! Sod how mundane such events may be for you - it's a numbers game! (IMHO).
    Count me in.

6. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    We have, we Do, there are Threads about these in the forums.
    The Next one of Note will be the Invite to ANZACS day on Saturday 25 th at 10am to be Held at Andy's Private Garden at the Bottom of NORECO Road

The Ozzies have Organised this one as you might have guessed, the Venue is owned by a member here.

So maybe we will see you there?

JP :bag: :thumbsup:

7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Andrew

Ratings:
    +151 / 57
    Blood Type:
    A-
    In the diary!
    Good to know. The replies on this thread seemed somewhat negative about such events. Anyway, perhaps my wrong interpretation.
    Ozzies - Not a sober affair then! :smile:

9. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Define Sober? But with a 10 am Start, Marathon comes to mind and to my Recollection I have never Finished one yet.:facepalm:

JP:blackalien:

10. Andrew

Ratings:
    +151 / 57
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Don't Ozzies count a good party in Days not Hours? haha.

• Funny Funny x 1