Dumaguete Info Search

reinventing the tricycle?

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by RHB, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Goth

Goth DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    guys! why not having a "pimp my tricycle" design contest in dumagueteinfo? interesting thought RHB.

2. echir

echir DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    This is a nice thread. Keep the ideas flowing guys...

3. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Any Idea who could " play " the role of the Pimp ??

I am Vegetarian , so count me out !! :D :D

4. OP
    OP
    RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    back on topic

Ok after posting in the electric vehicle thread about the effect of leading caster distance on handlebar wobble, I have learned through research that what is correct theory for two wheels is opposite for a trike. So to avoid that handlebar wobble you see on local machines the "trail" needs to be actually reduced. I am sure this is as clear as mud to many, so here is a drawing below. Also to further dampen the tendency for induced wheel wobble at higher speeds, a damper can be installed to null out the oscillations.
    First pic shows typical lead, second shows leading link fork designed for tricycle use. It uses the stock triple tree, or fork mount. Damper is viewable in the small photo, its the black shock absorber like thing mounted laterally.

Attached Files:

5. OP
    OP
    RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Other parameters which are already in place on the trikes here (some) are as follows.
    The lean of the motor cycle relative to the side car, and the tow in required.

Attached Files:

6. OP
    OP
    RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    My personal opinion, not based on anything but limited experience racing sports cars and bikes, is that reducing the unsprung weight as well as overall weight, and lowering the center of gravity will do wonders to improve handling and efficiency.

Some of the trikes in Manila use chrome moly tubing instead of heavy steel solid rod. The trikes in Kabakalan seem to be lower to the ground. So there is precident already.

Te engineering solution to reduce weight will always incur trade offs. It sems here in Dmgte, the trikes can carry almost anything, will drivers give up some versitility to gain better efficiency for carrying , say 4-6 people rather than design for any contingency?

7. OP
    OP
    RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    next stop is a local coach builder to learn some practical local theory and practice! And try to find a willing participant perhaps.

8. Gomez

Gomez Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This topic makes me think about why there are not too many bicycle riders in Philippines. Dumaguete is small enough of a city where people can bike to work and school. Many Asian nations started out as bicycle riders, and still are. Japanese are great at it. I see people riding tricycles where a 5 minute easy bike ride would do easy. Is it laziness? Perhaps another reason?

RHB, you need to build one that will carry at least 4 people. Yours looks like a single seater.

9. India-One

India-One DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    RHB, your concept of new "PImPing Tricycle" for dumaguete is great, though the concept, functionality and engineering design is better compared to the existing pedicabs, as long as this design would fit a thousand souls one haul, pedicabs drivers will go for it.

my 1 centimo

10. kewl:)

kewl:) DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    NIce inputs RHB.