Dumaguete Info Search

reinventing the tricycle?

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by RHB, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Amadeus

Amadeus DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Taxi fleet owners here convert their taxis to LP at a cost of 500USD each, and I wondered why they'd go to the expense-since its the drivers that buy the fuel. Not the owners of the cars.

Then I found out the drivers have to buy LP from the fleet owner

:smile:

2. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    $500 USD is extremely cheap for an LPG conversion. Is is being subsidized? The carbon fiber tank alone is at least $1000 in the U.S.

3. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    I think LPG [ propane ] just requires a steel tank. Supercooled LNG [methane] probably does require a very specialized tank.

4. Amadeus

Amadeus DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    $500 is what the taxi drivers in Manila told me.

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

Agree with the others, cost is closer to $1000. Taxis must now be LPG run in order to be licensed.

Larry

6. Gass

Gass DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    ... like they ever invented anything in this country.

Hey, lets try something, which works nowhere in the whole wide world... at least there is already an excuse when all the ADB millions disappear without any result (like the Bill Gates Foundation's money)

7. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    The best invention to come out of the Philippines was the YOYO!

:wink:

Larry

8. Gass

Gass DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    HAHAHA ....

and even that was just the name, and a Pinoy immigrant to the US. The origin goes back 500 b.c to greece...

[​IMG]

source: Yo-yo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

... but the thread is about re-inventing, Yo-Yo counts :wink:

9. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Eventually everything has been around in some other form or function in the past, I still like the story that a Mr. Fl(u)ores from Bacolod invented the Fluorescent light...

10. GOwin

GOwin DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Downtown Dumaguete is *almost* perfect for biking except:
    - local government leaders don't consider active transport networks as an alternative to motorized-vehicles, which is ridiculous because the compactness of Dumaguete makes it ideal for such a network. An intra-city bike lane/path network makes sense in Dumaguete!
    - the culture that considers bicycling is for the poor. although bicycling as recently surged in popularity, have you noticed that most of these bikers are weekend-riders with pimped-up gear which again masks the activity as something "sosyal" (posh)

I coudn't forget an incident while I was riding a pedicab once. It stopped to pick up another passenger while I was writing a text message on my phone. A minute or two later - I wasn't even done with my SMS! - the pedicab stopped to let the same passenger off. I find it so weird that so many people hate to walk, and in that particular incident, it was a late, cloudy afternoon.

Me, I like walking. A 20-30 minute walk is short for me. On a bike, I won't mind going around on them except that it's scarier without bike lanes and crazy drivers going about.

The only city in the Philippines with an active transport highway is Marikina city in Metro Manila. For a start, perhaps the city council should consider closing the road surrounding Quezon Park on certain days to all types of motorized vehicles to encourage bikers and walkers to make use of them.