Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Relocating from Thailand to the Philippines

1. Roadwitch80

Roadwitch80 DI Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 62
    Sometimes it does work. My neighbor came to the Phils in his early thirties and on his first day in Dgte, straight off the boat, he asked his pedicab driver where he could find a good wife. Pedicab driver dropped him off at his house and introduced him to his niece. They dated for two weeks, but there was just no spark. Driver introduced him to his other niece. She was 19, and poor as. Wasn’t educated. She was selling fish by the roadside. They dated, and now they’ve been married for 39 years, and have three grown kids who are just lovely. And they are still going strong. You don’t have to get an educated woman. You just need to find a loyal one who will stay with you through the bad days.

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 12
  2. Qwertz

Qwertz DI Junior Member

Retired lighthouse keeper
    Ratings:
    +41 / 3
    I was living in Luzon until my Canadian friend's house was sold. Nice house on the beach, but far from nearest town (Candon City) and no available females so I went online, and asked for girls from Dumaguete area. Tons of replies, and I found one from a nice (religious) family. She was 20 years younger than me. Unfortunately (for her) she was missing an eye, and her family told her she would never get a man.
    We have have been married now for almost 7 years and there has never been a problem. Love her and her family!

• Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. kowpot

kowpot DI Junior Member Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +41 / 2
    Blood Type:
    O+
    That is quite the statement. I am sure my wife would love to discuss it with you. My wife is Thai. Educated, a career woman that is now retired. (early retirement). Never worked in a bar. We were both in our 30's when we got married. Been married 29 years. We met in the U.S. where she attended Dean College, Massachusetts.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  4. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    I have to agree with Rye on this.
    I will say you can find plenty of good women but most are horrible at it. We chase plenty of women and plenty will hop into bed very easy. The ones who are more often better are the ones who aren't really looking and you have to fight to get which means they take time and work but most hit up a dating site and go with the pretty and young girl who will meet them right off and screw him which is almost guaranteed to be a gold digger. Many of us who are in committed *good* relationships know a few of these good girls but we tend to warn them off of foreigners as so many of the single foreigners are just interested in screwing around for a bit and those who try give up to easy because she wouldn't hop in bed within days of meeting. Just remember its a two way streak for good or bad. Bad girls create bad guys and bad guys create bad girls.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  5. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    about visa: I find it very comfortable here in Phils, on a 6 months tourist visa, extension without problems for a fair ammount right here in town...I almost forgot the horrible visa runs in Thailand every 3 months where I had to leave the country just for a minute...
    about relationship: there is a nice saying in asia: no money, no honey. turn it around and you have the perfect recipe for a great relationship, whatever kind of. don't be cheap charly, it doesn't work anywhere in the world, and espacially not here in asia. give a fair allowance and feed the girl 5 times a day and you get the best partner here. -only problem she will gain weight :-)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. adegans

adegans DI Junior Member

Webdeveloper
    Ratings:
    +23 / 4
    Before you get upset, this is just my experience... My personal experience. Your milage may vary. So, don't get offended or anything.

--
    If you can't find love in Thailand, don't waste your time in the Ph doing the same... I saw Rye83's post and agree with that. And have some firsthand experience with it :(

I've been here 3+ years, I've dated a whole bunch of girls/women, some where live-in girlfriends for months... Others lasted a few dates and some where nothing more than fuckbuddies.
    None were sincere or for real or suitable for various reasons.

I've dated country girls, city girls, bar girls, students. Even a few who turned out to be hookers trying to find love... with or without a job. With and without education. With or without religion/family... They're all of the same generic mindset as far as I can tell.

Either their shitty family was in the way, or their greed and hunger for money. Or their attitude was sh*t.
    Tons of young/middle ages women have atleast 1 kid.
    Most have debt or obligations you don't want to be involved in too much.
    Others were just too stupid to have a decent conversation with and couldn't think beyond talking about the weather and wishing they had rice and chicken for dinner.

It's just not worth the hassle...

As a rule I always sought after a adventurous woman who likes to go for a ride with me on a motorbike. All got homesick after a week or so - Which is a chore after a few weeks. And downright depressing after a few months.

If they had a job, the attitude and haughty bullshit struck time and time again. While leaning on my generosity.

Call me extremely unlucky, but that's how it was for me...
    I'm sure there are better women out there. But I didn't find any. I gave up and am done with the Philippines in general, just because the people are so unbearable. Leaving the country soon.

But be warned, try not to end up like me :smile:

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  7. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,538 / 1,016
    B.G., My last wife (16 yrs married) was Thai, current Filipina wife (8+ yrs married). Some similarities but not many. Blood is thicker than water with both, maybe moreso here. I was treated nicely by both families although the Thai family was better educated and better English spoken. But
    Filipino family poorer but nicer. My advice, avoid the girls who have had a few rodeos of their own.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You will be called a "foreigner" or "Kano" (short for Amerikano) regardless of where you actually come from. Kano seems to be used quite frequently with derogatory context. If I hear it come out of a local's mouth I stay very far away from them. (My ex-wife was a Filipino-American, only had US citizenship and was on the same tourist visa as I was in the Philippines, and it regularly came out of her mouth when she was talking about me to her friends. Divorced her shortly after I heard her, a "Kano" herself, call me that. Funny thing was, her friends were calling her the Kano behind her back and as soon as my money went away so did her "friends".)

Same.

Same, although I believe the average is a bit cheaper.

Same.

Has happened to many expats in the Philippines as well.

"Kano" IMO. It's quite common for them to try to milk expats for money.

Depends on how good at picking partners you are. There are good ones out there...really depends on where you look.

If you go out looking for a 18-20 year old girl you are playing the game. Don't get upset if you end up getting beat at it.

Wait, isn't he nearly 60? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Barry Willingham

Barry Willingham DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 3

I did this last year. Should have done it years ago.
    Women are women every where. Thai is very different.
    Down in the south people are poorer and more modest. If Luzon was all there is, Id have stayed in Thailand.
    Maybe I got lucky but I treat them fairly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Plenty of ways to get burned going that route as well. Family is going to be far more important (meaning you will have to pay them) and the girl likely has no experience with foreign cultures outside of pop culture. You also risk putting the poor girl in culture shock when relocating to a larger city...and especially if a move to another country is planned. Education is going to be an issue as well...but if you are just looking for a house maid you can screw that you don't plan on having any meaningful conversations with this may be the way to go. Everyone had different expectations for a partner, I'm not judging (ok, I am a bit), up to you, diba?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1