Dumaguete Info Search

Remittance/Money Transfer to the Philippines

Discussion in 'Banking - Investing - Finances' started by Rye83, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    With Transferwise it really depends on the exact circumstances. For HKD / PHP transfers for example their fee is close to 3%. Most banks have some kind of fixed fee and certainly take a cut (but hopefully less than 3%) on the exchange rate, so in the end it depends on the amount transferred which one is cheaper.

2. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    You're right, for the UK, Kabayan is a cheaper option, and no, they don't support any other currency pair than GBP/PHP. It is pretty much a "mom&pop money transfer shop" though, with poor financial strength, and I wouldn't trust them with my money for that reason alone.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Kabayan has higher rate in my area compared to what I'm using and their telemarketers are bothersome.

4. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    Interesting what you wrote about their situation; they do have that 'family business' friendliness. My wife used them in the UK over many years and had no problems to date. The only issue with them is that they limit the value of our remittances more than other companies do (about 50% of what other companies will allow) and state that if we wish to send more then we need to provide our receipts and invoices. I just use a number of ways of getting money here, which makes the rules trying to control the exodus of MY cash from the UK a bit pointless.