Dumaguete Info Search

Reorder Point

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by PatO, Oct 8, 2023.

1. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,222 / 1,090
    My wife is the Procurement Officer for Noreco II Sometime ago she was held to account for overstocking the Stores, much toing and froing on the issue after many meetings she was told to go back to agreed Asset holding forecasts, She did as the Auditors said and now she tells me that she finds herself in a situation of LOW/ NO STOCK,
    Damned if she did and Damned she will be when the General Manager asks WHY is there no Stock :banghead:

• Informative Informative x 3
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2023
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,636 / 2,899
    There is more to having stocks at home merely than the problem of not having something at hand you desire.

Firstly there is the issue of a natural disaster, which could disrupt food supplies for some time - for that reason it is best to have canned or dried goods at hand to last a few weeks or more. I also have water-purification tablets that will serve to protect me and 'her indoors' should there be a water supply failure. They could be used if we have no choice but to drink faucet (tap) water or, in extremis, going to the local river (having first filtered out the toilet paper, etc!).

Secondly, having food stocks can be a cost-saver due to rampant inflation - what you have in stock will probably be much more expensive in the future. I am sure it is better than paltry bank interest.

It is also worthwhile when LPG prices are low to buy a small stock. The price fluctuates a lot and supply can be affected by world events (as with food) and not just local natural disasters.

I am the one in my house who builds these stocks - at home I was used to buying up 2-for-1 and other highly discounted foods during the limited time they were on offer and then not buying those particular items until they came back into offer again. Not possible here when 1 peso off a 500 pesos product is deemed a bargain!

Final tip: Having filtered out the toilet paper from river water, dry it and it can be re-used. Urghh!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Mike_Haddon

Mike_Haddon DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +324 / 31
    It's always good to have insight to the things in life that most of us know nothing about. I'm sure all of what you say is true, but also there is a maxim that is drummed into any individual ordering anything that may sit on a shelf for a long time.....stock on hand is money doing nothing. The more stock, the more money sitting doing nothing. I have been involved with businesses where certain items have been deliberately run low on stock, to save money, at times when things are tight. Following post re the poster's wife's experience at Noreco II seems like a good example of this. The difference here is all the things you mention that get in the way of ordering and receiving re-stock timely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. alesypalsy

alesypalsy DI Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 5
    I think to many of you are overly serious! I think the general consensus of the topic was in jest ,,, well my reply certainly was,
    I find it amusing and considering I’ve been married to my wife for 15 years so far I certainly would never want her to change !
    Like other say, there seems to always be an overly supply of make up and the rice lol