Dumaguete Info Search

restaurant wanted

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by wolfgang0526, Aug 23, 2010.

1. wolfgang0526

wolfgang0526 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi there,
    we are looking for a restaurant to lease or buy in downtown dumaguete. Any leads??? Ciao, peter

2. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    Il Piccolo (formerly Italia) recently closed. Space was vacant last time I passed by...

By the way, I hope you are planning to open a Thai food restaurant! :D

3. OP
    OP
    wolfgang0526

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, guru
    no thai. Sorry. We are from europe and 99% it will be a european reaturant. We will be there in december. Thanks again for the lead and greetings from san diego, california, ciao

4. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,150 / 230
    Well when everybody moves out to Valencia, there will be lots of vacant places :wink:

Seriously others might help on that one.

5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    San Diego?

:confused: You want to open a EUROPIAN! Resto! This I have to hear about!
    Ciao! with a name like Wolfgang.
    Maybe I am a little mmmm Critical or just Inquisitive, are we talking Pasta! Fish & Chips, Paella, or Sauerkraut & beixamel! Welcome my friend! pay no attention to me if this seems a little ambiguous. I do tend to get into trouble some times .:o
    I tend to be a bit of a Realist.
    Please post the Location and Menu in due course:smile:
    We do of course need I read, a Resto bar in Valencia! have you thought about this?

Jack P.:smile:

6. OP
    OP
    wolfgang0526

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks jack,
    the only valencia i have been is in spain. where is yours?

7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    ha ha ha ha ! Ooooops!

Wolfgang. Please read the previous posts, I live in Valencia (PI) But I work In Spain! Check out the recent posts on BARS/RESTOS in Valencia PI!
    Just a Nudge to get you going here on DI my friend.:wink: If you need help talk to the elders here, Rhoody,Jellyfish,Shadow,Jimeve. we are here to help.

Hey! even talk to me! I am English BUT quite friendly:rolleyes:

Jack P. :smile:

8. appy_ammer

appy_ammer DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    NO

I would say dont do it, people may disagree but i would say that is for selfish reasons and they are not be realistic. Look at the potential market in Valencia. All you will get is a few small time spenders sipping on a san mig from time to time. :wink:

Funny how the Italian restaurant is up for lease set right in an area with 1000 times more potential customers. This should you give you a big alarm bell. :confused:

You also have suppiers, staff, accountants, paperwork and bills to think of. You think the sale of a few beers each week will be worth all the hours, work and headaches. :eek:

I had a Restobar for three years in uptown Cebu City with very little competition in the area so done well, I got lucky. Many people come to the Philippines and the first thing they think is bar. Please believe me there are the majority who find out its was an unrealistic and a not very well thought out dream :smile:

If you are 100% on a bar i can point you in the right direction and a sfer path. Its not publicly known its for lease. You could not get a better location and is very, very well established. I have nothing to do with this bar and no interest in any way. I just know it maybe there for the taking and will always try to help out another expat. :wink:

9. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    wolfgang0526,...
    Valencia is an upscale and progressive little town a short ways up the hill from Dumaguete. It's clean, safe and since its at altitude quite a bit cooler than Dumaguete.
    There's a lot of pensioned/retired foreigners living here, and Pinoy business owners/duel nationals/OCW's and we want a suitable place to eat, drink and be merry.
    With good food!
    There's not a place here like that yet, you would be the first.

I see restaurants come and go in Dumaguete, if you don't get on the boulevard, your chances for success are greatly diminished.

But a restaurant close to the main town square in Valencia, if they're clean and have good food would already have a built in clientele. If the reputation is worthy, that will also attract regular diners from Dumaguete.

My Wife and I had a restaurant up the coast years ago until we closed when we moved to Valencia some years back. I would not try to open another European/American restaurant in Dumaguete, but I've been very tempted to do so in Valencia because to me it's obviously wanted up here.

10. OP
    OP
    wolfgang0526

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it. How many people live in valencia and how many minutes by car from down town dumaguete??