Dumaguete Info Search

Food & Grocery Robinson's Grocery Store has Anti - Foreigner Day

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Dave_Hounddriver, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    I have one, Then asks me why I let her do it? :bucktooth: but we should all know it is better to :nailbiting: keep silent

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MikeP64

MikeP64 DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +246 / 138
    We should, but.

3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    :bag: And that my friend, is where real problem starts

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Sorry could not resist.

And when talking about trolleybuses they probably think it is a big shopping trolley because when they see the first time a real trolleybus that is a spiderbus for them. :hilarious::wideyed::roflmao::wacky: (Yeah the latter one really happened.)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    True, and I might perform such a sampling under certain conditions, for example as a master linguist working on my PhD thesis. But as the other poster responded, it is idiomatic and there really are no hard and fast lists of definitions for these things. I will say that in my experience, ESL speakers here that I know use the term as literally EVERY now and EVERY then which, literally, should mean “always”. I look at it this way: The Philippines is one of the largest English speaking languages in the world. Of course, India is the largest English speaking nation. The USA may be number 2, the Philippines number 3 and the others, such as Canada, Australia and England way down on the list. With the Philippines at such a prominent ranking they are entitled to their own dialectical phrases. Their use of English is correct in whatever local definition they use because they are big; no Australian, Canadian or Englishman has standing to correct them :comedyonlydontgetmad; And you are correct, it does matter what the majority think even if my brother-in-law doesn’t care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Yep, agreed, know that but its hard to do sometimes. Thanks for the timely reminder. :locktopic:

• Like Like x 1
  7. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Agreed: In these times, considering the political situation and the new found nationalism of the people, silence, low profile and near invisibility during potentially confrontation situations is often best. Besides, many of us have Filipina gf’s and asawas who can and will intervene when needed (thank the Lord!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    And along those lines, the word "literally" itself is one of the words most misused by fluent English speakers. Technically, the definition is "In a literal manner or sense; exactly." In other words, the exact opposite of "figuratively".
    But it's used in the exact opposite way so frequently e.g. "He literally exploded with rage", "Those sale items are literally flying off the shelves" that an alternate or "informal" definition is now often included in dictionaries:
    literally | Definition of literally in English by Oxford Dictionaries

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. jim787

jim787 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 38
    Used in place of "figuratively", "literally" is an emphasizer. It's not mean to be taken literally!

10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+

It seems to mostly be a child/teenage way of speaking. Shame is a powerful thing for that age group. Show them that video and they usually stop.

• Funny Funny x 2