Dumaguete Info Search

rRvelations of an arrested BOI chief

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by mokum, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Obliged Friend

Obliged Friend DI Forum Adept Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +288 / 77
    Blood Type:
    O-
    15926914-4FA7-4B7D-8A92-ADCB0F7D0872.jpeg 4F0B9241-EFCE-4F4F-9DFA-8D988933D854.jpeg

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. wolvhund

wolvhund DI Member

Ratings:
    +121 / 36
    I suggest that the admins remove the post. For the sake of accuracy and your own protection.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. MikeP64

MikeP64 DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +247 / 138
    Reminds me of the old Coaster song.

4. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Agree it should be avoided but according to the article, bail is rarely granted so it isn’t as if a person has a choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    Unfortunately, since foreigners have no political power here, this operation might be temporarily disrupted due to whatever embarrassment is occurring now but I suspect no long term solution is at hand after this dies down. Sometimes people who have all papers in order and are prominent businessmen get nabbed because they have money and cannot escape the system. It is and will continue to be a risk of living here; it hasn’t completely stopped as far as I can read from the article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    There are things in the article that can be, and should have been, directly addressed, checked and debunked. A politician/official saying "fake news" and little more does not necessarily make it fake...and it is usually quite the opposite. How many cases/appeals have actually been seen by the court? How many foreigners have been released in the last 5 years from the prison? Are there any foreigners released that can show an unusually large and unaccounted for dent in their finances? What is the income of a BI officer and does their living standards reflect that salary? Are there currently any cases sitting on the docket with the Ombudsman concerning this matter?

Commenting on any of that and saying where to access that information would have went a lot further in helping us determine if this was actually "fake news". The rebuttal lacks logic, relevant information and dodges the issues implied by the article, fake or not. Also, that last paragraph in the rebuttal sounds a whole lot like a threat to the detainees. Which is a whole lot like the tactics the "fake" article said was commonly used in collecting bribes.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. wolvhund

wolvhund DI Member

Ratings:
    +121 / 36
    Clearly the the first article was false, the person they said was arrested and charged was not arrested and charged and is still in the same position. There is no reason to believe any of it is true. Whether or not their is corruption or if any of the claims in the article have any merit is a different matter. I would not be surprised if the guy is corrupt, but the burden of proof lies with positive claimant, innocent until proven guilty. If there is corruption, then there needs to be evidence shown of that before making the claim.

The article is "fake news" and it is libelous even if you or I believe that the system does operate in the manner it describes. You cannot simply make any claim and then ask the person accused to prove you are wrong, it is your job to prove your claims are true, and if the evidence warrants it, then the accused has to defend themselves. That is the way both the law and journalism work, even if the person is a government official. I agree with you that that last statement in the second article sounds exactly like the the mindset that he is being accused of.

8. govoner

govoner DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0

You must be a youngster
    Bobby Fuller Four

9. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I think the truth lays somewhere in between. Don't you remember a case about 10 years ago where an Englishman was arrested on trumped up charges and a newspaper actually published photographs that in the end were clearly shown to be false and had nothing to do with what this man was charged with? That man was held if memory serves correct for about 9 months and eventually released but during his incarceration, he was provided with the comforts of life and allowed to continue with his hobby at his expense. One of the two accusers, who were trying to even up a score or two they believed they had against this man, eventually departed Dumaguete for places unknown, never to be heard of again. Of course there is corruption. It is everywhere and has to be taken as part of the life we lead in an Asian country and it can cut both ways.

• Agree Agree x 1