Dumaguete Info Search

Sad News to be aware off.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Firefly44, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Kojak

Kojak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 2
    That should have been the primary concern from the beginning.... according to a Philippine Trivia site the police have an 84% clearance rate.... lets hope this is one of the ones they solve.... and quickly

My condolences to the family....I can not imagine their pain and frustration

2. OP
    OP
    Firefly44

Firefly44 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +71 / 4
  3. Kojak

Kojak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 2
    Looks like a long way to go.... about the only thing significant is the vehicle.... even with the confusion of the "M" and "H".... it is highly significant that they had 5 out of 6 figures correct.... the odds are tremendous for that to be a coincidence... most of the stuff seized you could find around my house..... hope they get stronger evidence than that.... hate to put the family and the "new" suspects through hell again while the real killers are stalking a new victim.
    I seriously question the validity of the pimp and the children report.... never heard of a male-female child molestation team.... especially a Filipina..... just does not ring true

Sort of reminds me of the American woman who blamed a mysterious black man for kidnapping her children and drowning them.....only to later discover she killed them herself.....

"Eyewitness misidentification is the single greatest cause of wrongful convictions nationwide, playing a role in more than 75% of convictions overturned through DNA testing."(America)

Interesting the court does not trust the police..... that must sting

4. fallenviking

fallenviking Ring Ring. Who's calling?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  5. OP
    OP
    Firefly44

Firefly44 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +71 / 4
    Latest update. I still cannot really believe this sad crime happened in daylight with witnesses and it seems the police are not yet any further to the true story. But maybe close to closing the case whatever.

Cebu Daily News | Cebu's Only Independent Newspaper

Take care all

6. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    Yea right!:D

7. Kojak

Kojak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 2
    Even with a 84% clearance rate....that has nothing to do with the conviction rate....which I would guess is considerably lower for a variety of reasons.... and a huge contributor to vigilantism which usually occurs when people are frustrated by an inadequate justice system
    That trivia site had a lot of interesting statistics.... such as a rape every 7 hours.....and the molestation of one out of four children before they reach 18.....

My problem with this case is they are basing "everything" on eyewitness accounts

In America.....When DNA proved a man was wrongly convicted.... 75% of the time he was convicted based on "eyewitness" testimony..... the chances the identification is false if the eyewitness is a criminal (pimp) is greatly increased..... and the pimp according to the newspaper already retracted his statement when he found out there was no "reward" for him..... I find the whole story VERY improbable..... Sorry it is just impossible for me to believe a Filipina would be a party to a child abduction and murder
    .... a foreigner by himself.....a Filipino by himself...... "possibly".....but a Filipina just is implausible for me.... I will be VERY surprised if this turns out to be the "real" story

8. fallenviking

fallenviking Ring Ring. Who's calling?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  9. OP
    OP
    Firefly44

Firefly44 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +71 / 4
    Now that the English press have this story I hope they send a Journalist to get all the correct details. I am expecting Mr Griffiths to be returned to the Philippines to face Justice. What a can of worms. Will the truth ever be found ? Somehow I do not think so. I do hope whoever was guilty has a Death just like that poor little girl suffered.

10. Kojak

Kojak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 2
    I am sorry....... This whole story stinks .....

FIRST There seems to be a huge double standard..... "foreigners" seem to be "guilty" automatically without trial
    SECOND A child molestation / murder team, one of which is a Filipina is just impossible for me to believe.....
    FINALLY If these two people are extradited..... they.....I think..... will be railroaded straight into prison......

The lesson here for us is to be very careful..... there are people here who would love to put foreigners in jail ...guilty or not

I asked my editor why he was not covering the story..... he said it was "a circus".... ????
    not sure what he meant