Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: San Francisco Food

1. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    AHHH, Mr Sedona, I like your comment, BUT i also like the RiceaRoni comment, haha (i have never made rice from a box)....

It's a "cost - benefit" analysis

I moved to SF in 1973, so that gives me 45 years of great food, eating out several times a week. YES ABSOLUTELY ABSOLUTELY I MISS THE FOOD... BUT BUT BUT:

Good food in SF is breakfast for $30 (1500 pesos) for two people (Just for you), hot restaurants with a two hour wait on weekends was $50 (2500 pesos), the best Sushi restaurant in SF is 5000 pesos, good ones are 2000. Dinners are in the 2500 peso range. Even cheap places like Hard Knox are over 1500 pesos. But the lower the price range, the more like Dumaguete food SF food becomes...

I'll throw in that the lack of great Thai here is sickening, as is Dim Sum (harbor view is unforgivable, mr lee at lee hypermart is passable, barely (any recommendatioms?)..

As for stars), there are a few which clip the 3 star range with tastes which emulate SF, maybe Alima, Kri (same owners), maybe Adamo, Andy's, Salaya, Atmosphere.. PS i like Casablanca a lot, huge schnitzel.. Dozens of others have fun menus with good food.. As for * or ***, i concede i ain't no critic, but i like them the best...

Also for SF, i don't miss 300,000 peso rents for small unfurnished, 75,000 car break-ins per year, 10,000 homeless camped out in tents on the sidewalks, traffic like cebu, bicycle thieves caught with a stolen bus and 50 bicycles released after two days, building PERMIT costs for a short wall over P250,000. List goes on and on, like the chances of a delivered package disappearing off ur doorstep is 80%...

So my "benefits" of living in Dgte far outweigh the "costs" of leaving SF..

Oh yeah, and the yummy "froccinos" at Bos are better than whatever crap starbucks is dishing out... So whats Tom & Toms ????

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    But what about the other favourite British foods?:
    (1. Fish and chips ... as you said)
    2. Roast dinner with Yorkshire pudding
    3. Full English breakfast
    4. Bacon butties
    5. Apple crumble
    6. Strawberries and cream
    7. Bangers and mash
    8. Cream tea
    9. Shepherd's pie
    10. Crumpets
    11. Ham, egg and chips
    12. Sausage rolls
    13. Cornish ice cream
    14. Baked beans
    15. Victoria sponge
    16. Toad in the hole
    17. Sticky toffee pudding and custard
    18. Cornish pasty
    19. Steak and kidney pie
    20. Pork pie

Bet your mouth is watering now :smile:

• Like Like x 3
  3. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Report back and let us know. I have not been in the place but a while back the manageress was a British lady and she is fabulous (this coming from her mother who I met on the plane after she came for a visit). I keep meaning to get in there and say hello but I'm really not a resort kind of person. I actually like the food in most Dumaguete restaurants. Its cheap, plentiful, tastes fine to me, and fills the stomach.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Trying to cater to Western tastebuds is a bad business plan in the Philippines. Expats say they want food like back home but there are not enough of them willing to dig into their pockets to pay for such luxury on a regular basis. And there is even a further divide between Westerners on what "good" actually is. (Have you ever tried British food? :sick: When some fried fish and potatoes are what you're proud of you shouldn't really be complaining about how Filipinos eat.)

I suspect it isn't that they don't like "good food"...it is more about who is paying for that food (my gf did not hesitate for a second when ordering $40-50+ sushi/steaks/lobster/Italian dishes while in Singapore :meh:). When money isn't a factor and exquisite food is available Filipinos are quite capable of developing a sophisticated palate.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It was written as "Roast Dinner". There are lots of things you can roast. The word "roast" does not exclusively apply to beef. If I just saw "roast" on a menu my first question will always be "roast what?"

I've never heard of "fake" roast beef. It was either beef that has been roasted or it wasn't.

Doesn't properly roasting beef take around an hour? I wouldn't think that it would be a common thing to find in restaurants in a country that prefers pork and chicken...outside of special events. If you are really craving it it might be best to do it yourself. When your preferred tastes are in the minority sometimes you have to take things into your own hands.

Perfect Roast Beef | Beef Recipe | Jamie Oliver Recipes

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Something tells me that you have not been to the Atmosphere Resort and paid the high prices that you accuse others of not paying. I can't afford it either but the tripadvisor reviews give it 5 stars so its not that good food is not available, its that it is available at first world prices and we expats don't want to pay that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I can only agree with most of the above comments about foods in the Philippines. For sure Filipino taste are different from westerns, maybe ChMacQueen are right Filipino had kills there taste buds with vinegar, soya, sugar etc., only a few dishes fit my taste buds, only I can get on my memory is chopsuey. A perfect meal for me is both tasty and healthy, I'm in no way fanatic, but want tasty and healthy food on daily basis. I can find several decent restaurants and food places in Dumaguete, but not find any high end yet. I can still feel happy and satisfied with the food when I go out, don't forget what you pay for the food compared to the US or Europe. Bertelicious Sushi on south highway opposite side of Katz a few hundred meters against Bacong, great food and staff very friendly, only minus close to the highway. I like the stone oven pizza in Bambolo, paella in Why Not, steak in Casablanca, kebab in a Turkish snack bar on a corner in Nobelfranca street, on the opposite corner of Cafe Mafioso. Moon cafe, Kri, Sans Rival Bistro and some of the beach resorts in Dauin area just to name some of the places I find to have decent food. Taste and what food means to you is very individual, some eat to stay alive, others want high pleasure. I'm not a chief cook but interested in cooking, how to learn to make new dishes, YouTube is great, hate to eat same same. Commodities like seafood and vegetables you can find in good quality and imo very cheap here in the Philippines, just my 2 cents

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    There are two more Gabby's Bistros in Dumaguete that are not as busy and have a bit better service than the one on the boulevard.

One is at Florintina Homes on Rovira Dr. and the other is Gabby's Bed and Breakfast in Claytown, Daro.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    I guess we all have our own views but then, it depends your own Criteria of any staring system

• Agree Agree x 2