Dumaguete Info Search

Suggestion Sans Rival - They Have Food?

Discussion in 'Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment' started by Rye83, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The other day I stopped by Sans Rival on the Boulevard, which was my first visit since I've lived in Dumaguete (I have had a coffee from the Robinsons location before but didn't look at the menu while I was there). I was surprised they had more than just pastries and coffee on the menu. I don't eat sweets very often so I thought I had no reason to ever stop there.

Question: is anything on that menu any good? I thought the prices were pretty cheap which makes me think the quality wouldn't be there but I could be wrong. If there is something decent on the menu that would be my location of choice on the boulevard because the wall and plants block the annoying street beggars/vendors from bugging the crap out of you. Would also be interested to know if the Sans Rival in Robinsons has the same menu and quality of food.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 1,261
    I really like the Medditeranian Kabobs, their French Onion soup leaves a lot to be desired.
    Beer is cold.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Turbota

Turbota DI Member

Retired Military Pilot / Fed Civil Service
    Ratings:
    +107 / 18
    I didn't like the food they serve at the Sans Rival restaurant that faces the boulevard, but the Sans Rival pastry shop that is to the side and rear of the restaurant has some pretty good food besides just serving pastries.

Sans Rival is owed by the mayor's family

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Some of the food is Good, the Lasagna not bad but like a few of these Places it is not Cooked on site, Sans Rival food is Cooked up at Bagacay by the Traders Market and Shipped Down and reheated on Site. This to me always seems to have food loose that Fresh Cooked Taste/Flavour.
    JMHO of Course.

Jack :pompus:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. hawk263

hawk263 DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Army

Retired
    Ratings:
    +488 / 81
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I like the Sopa de lentejas with french bread, at the boulevarde location - it makes a good light lunch.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. microslack

microslack DI New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Just back in Oz after 3 weeks in Dumaguete. Family visit but as usual stayed in the Nicanor as to be independent. My wife and I did eat at Sans Rival a number of times and although comments are always subjective to the person at the time I can honestly say that the food was of a high standard with a strong leaning to Spanish fare. Good range of salads. Calamari did not disappoint and Paella up to standard. SML at 45 pesos ok and coffee and soft drinks at 35 pesos not over the top. Range of soup also good. My wife took a group of her uni mates there one night and the service, food and prices were great.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. patty

patty DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 18
    They do have a wonderful pumpkin soup. Cakes and pies the best ever, food just ok, the pumpkin soup always excellent.

• Thanks Thanks x 1