Dumaguete Info Search

Foreign Visa Schengen Visa for Italy

Discussion in 'Passports and Visas' started by Old Codger, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Old Codger

Old Codger DI Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 16
    I just thought I'd share my experience regarding the above in case there is anyone else contemplating travel to Italy.

I travelled around a bit with my GF and she has already been to Greece (twice), Spain and UK. Greece and Spain are schengen states of course.

I have now retired but did travel a lot when working. I had 98,000 miles remaining on a mileage card and decided to use it for a special promo of 50% off the usual mileage for flight awards, but it only had a 2 week booking window.

We decided to go to Manila on 28th July for other reasons but timed it to coincide with the beginning of the window on 29th July. Of course we couldn't apply for my GF's visa until we knew the travel dates. So I first booked the flights on 29th July for travel on 9th Sept, which based on past experience (above) allowed plenty of time to get the visa before 9th Sept.

Since we were staying 10 days in Manila, I assumed (based on past experience) we had time to arrange an appointment at the Embassy and submit her application while we were there.

I called the Embassy, or so I believed, the number I got from the Italian Embassy website that I called had a recorded message which asked which country you were applying for visa to first, so it could have been some joint agency or it was directed to the appropriate embassy, there was no way to tell.

I explained that we were in Manila for 10 days and wanted to arrange an appointment to submit a visa application. They said the first available date was end of August!!!!!!!!!!

They "recommended" using the courier service. There are three lines for this purpose he gave. Beware, they are premium lines. Since I was visiting Manila from Dumaguete I only had my mobile. They quote P45 (if I remember correctly) a minute from a landline but only said that from a mobile it was "more expensive".

Anyway, courier service is usually quick and applying at the end of August would mean another trip to Manila for both of us, I decided to call the premium line. First you get a long recorded message with information which is all available on the embassy website, just to bump up the charges. You can't circumvent this otherwise you can't speak to someone.

Anyway, I called only to be told that the first available pick up date was 6th Sept!!!!! That was my flight schedule, and hopes of going to Italy when it was still warm, up the spout. I wasn't happy and said so and ended the call to decide whether we really wanted to go to Italy or somewhere that the visa didn't take so long. The call cost P290 incidentally.

After discussion we decided we still wanted to go to Italy. So, I had to call the premium line again to make the arrangements for the application pick up. I armed myself with P800 load: I didn't want to get cut in the call and have to ring back and go through all the rigmarole again. So, I called and had to go all through the BS again, then when I got through the guy insisted on us giving all the information which was going on the application form anyway. Very stupid system, giving names, addresses, contact numbers on the phone, meaning everything had to be spelt out, numbers given and read back, just so the premium charges could be extracted from us.

I just finished the long call and checked my balance - P10!! P790 for the call. It's scam by any other name, and sanctioned by the Embassy?

The date for collection had then moved to 8th Sept and I had to pay for $30 each ticket to change it and travel almost in the middle of October.

Incidentally, for information, courier charge is P430 and visa fee P3,417.

Part of my problem was with the flight booking which prevented me from making arrangements in advance. But I would suggest, that if you are planning to go to Italy with your Filipino wife or GF, take due account of the long delay in visa application and the premium charges if you decide to use the courier service.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Great write up, thanks for sharing your experience :smile:

3. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    How certain is approval for an Italian tourist visa for a filipina who isn't rich?

The cheap fares out of BKK are tempting!

4. claire29

claire29 DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    hello everybody,

I once applied in the Italian embassy for a tourist visa. My husband applied it in behalf of me but take note that my husband is an Italian national. But that time we were not married yet. So after all the troubles and lots of money we spend going back from dumaguete to manila and hotel. I ended up denied without being explained why. hehehe my husband almost shout in the embassy. But he did not. But somebody wants a schengen visa for italy that has been in other countries that is part of the schengen union should not have any problem of getting a visa. But it is always diff. in every embassy. It seems to me that they also have their own qualifications. Right after we got married we brought all our papers and another time lots of money. Waiting for the time that my datas will be transfered in italy then I got a spousal visa. mmmmhhh many things were not clear in the embassy but I will not put it in here since it is a little bit political. One thing I learn there is shout up and mind your own bussiness. Anyway good luck old codger and enjoy milan. I will be going there as well next week to apply for dual citizensip. mmhhh bring jackets the weather as of now is not so nice often cold in the morning.

claire

5. claire29

claire29 DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    hi old codger,

I wonder what is your nationality sir ? Because we were never ask to make an appoinment to go to the italian embassy since my husband is an italian national. They accommodated us immediately. But if your gf has a visa for greece she should be able to get the visa for italy. This notice for the visa stamp from other schengen countries was written in the bulletin board of the embassy.

6. OP
    OP
    Old Codger

Old Codger DI Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 16
    I'm not Italian. I'm not doubting that she will get the visa, just commenting on the long time to get a visa and the expense of the premium calls to the courier telephone lines and the obvious and deliberate extension of the time they hold you on line to milk the premium charges.

7. OP
    OP
    Old Codger

Old Codger DI Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 16
    Hi,

Depends on the circumstances.

Are you are foreigner, and talking about a visa for your Filipina GF? If so, I can only suggest that you support her as much as possible, if you are an EU citizen all the better. Assuming you will accompany her and pay expenses; I would (as I have done for previous visas) make a support letter offering to pay all expenses, attach a copy of your passport, copies of bank statements showing sufficient funds to cover the holiday expenses and a copy of your flight reservations to show you are travelling together.

Many Embassies require the applicant to attend in person and have interview. I am informed that in applying through courier service to italian Embassy there is no requirement for an interview.

8. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    The schengen Visa!

:smile: Not sure if this will serve as help at all in this thread but when I applied for a Schengen Visa for my Wife to Visit me in Spain I had a little shock. It would appear that she had to have Full Visa for the UK first and then a Schengen for which ever Countries she wanted would be issued. As I lived in Spain they would only accept a Visa issued in the UK or MANILA. As those who followed other threads will, I hope Remember, that I was Working in Cadiz that is not Far from Gibraltar (130 km) at the time, so to get some information I applied there. OH! I could get a Visa for her to Visit Gibraltar no problem, As Gibraltar, although BRITISH is not a member of the Schengen Set up, SPAIN would not issue a Schengen as any Visa issued there was not Valid for travel to Spain. It would appear then, that a British Citizen or any of the EU, Can't apply for a Schengen Visa for their PI Spouse if they are living in another EU country other than their own. They apparently have to have a Full Visa for the Country of Origin of the Husband/Wife.:smile:

Not sure it is of any Help here but may be of use to someone out there.

Jack P.

9. Ley

Ley One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Process on Italian spousal visa

Hi claire!

Me and my Italian fiancee previously did an Italian tourist visa for myself. And like what happened to you, happened to mine as well. The tourist visa was denied..eventhough we both appeared there personally. Now, that we are getting married by January 2013. I would like to know if the process for spousal visa will be long like 4 to 5 months or more. Or it will only take weeks then you can finally get the visa?

best regards,
    Ley