Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Seed and Plant exchange for 2015

1. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    The fertilizer is Ammonia Phosphate, 16-20-0 , meaning 16% Nitrogen, 20% Phosphorus, and 0% Potassium. The Phosphorus aids in fruit and flower production. I think you are looking for the Phosphours without too much more nitrogen than the 16% in Ammonia Phosphate. I started using it in the US, because the soil had a high alkaline level and it brought down the pH a little of the soil. I use it through out my garden here which is why I buy big 50 Kg bags. I split it up into smaller 5 Kg bags and sell it at the seed exchange for 80 P/Kg. In town 1 Kg bags sell for 125 P (see photo below at CL Marketing and Handyman). If you want to know where I buy the 50 Kg bags I will have to go by it and get name and address. Let me know if you want that information. A problem with it is that it absorbs moisture here if it is not sealed well. When it turns to gravy like density I mix it with water and apply is as a solution, but it is "hot" so I have burned plants using it without care. You have to water it in to the ground. If people are interested in getting Ammonia Phosphate fertilizer let me know and I will be sure to have some available for purchase. Mineis all gravy consistency now, so I am waiting for the rainy season to end before buying more. It is best if youbring your own best airtight containers for storage, or use the fertilizer quickly. (within 4 months)

I also put left over fish from the cats in the holes of many things I plant, as a slow release fertilizer. You can mix fish with water to make "fish emulsion" but it really stinks a lot. I purchased the little fish at the fish market in Dumaguete for 20P / Kg... a very good price yesterday. The fish are old and hardly something you want to eat, but they work good as fertilizer.

NOTE: Regarding tomatoes we will have a field trip to Grahan's hydroponic lettuce production farm in San Miguel/Bacong next week. He has some commercial experience with Tomatoes also and will share his problems. Watch the forum for time and place. It should be posted in the next couple of days.
    @WATSISNAME

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. denpet

denpet DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +351 / 96
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I will be back in Dumaguete on Monday. How about lunch time? My phone number is 09274411320. If you send me a text I get your number and can call you Monday for directions.
    Would love to check-out the hydroponic lettuce place. The more info one can get the better.
    @Dave & Imp

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dreamer

Dreamer DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0
    Hi
    I am back on the board after long time.I would love to be part of a seed/seedling swap. Is it still on for March? There have been lots of things mentioned that I would like to try although my success with seeds so far has been somewhat limited. I have a few things that are different and happy to bring along if people may be interested? I grow two varieties of passion fruit that I make juice with and have either seeds or seedlings.I also have mulberry that I make pies or jam with.I can bring plant cuttings. I do well with ginger and galangal and have lots rooted and growing well. Chives, not so strong as the spring onions and also plenty of pandan, nice to put in with rice when cooking. I use vermi soil and vermi tea and sell that by the kilo or litre( or more that happy to swap rather than use money) and if anyone wants to order I can bring worms.

• Like Like x 2
  4. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    i hope this works, much confusion trying to do multiple quotes.

dave... thanks for putting the seed/plant swap together. if you do it again, please consider doing it during the rainy season which is more garden friendly.

i think we have to keep in mind that most "exotic" seeds are designed to grow in temperate climates with average elevations and rains and a long photoperiod during the growing season.

as far as successful germination and growing, seed storage is more of an issue here than most temperate climates due to humidity. i've also ordered exotic seeds and they came in paper packets where the seeds i've purchased in da fils are packaged in moisture proof envelopes. even then, i've yet to plant out a whole seed packet so i take precautions to keep the packets sealed in two refrigerated zip lock type bags.

i'm surprised you're planting seeds from market veggies, i'd think they'd be from hybrid fruits grown for market conditions where flavor and nutrition aren't the priority. how'd they taste/produce?

with that in mind, i got some tomatoes from a neighbor who was growing for the market and they were (absolutely) tasteless compared to our garden tomatoes which are a long ways from resembling nutrient dense but they at least remind me of tomatoes i ate as a kid.

btw... i recently ''successfully'' placed a seed order with Allied Botanical Corporation| Enhancing Agriculture to Improve Your Life many of their seeds are available at JB Marketing. not like ordering online but this IS the fils, you know...

thanks again, dave...
    norm : ))~

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. oztony

oztony DI Senior Member Blood Donor

Ratings:
    +211 / 39
    Mokum , please give our regards to your lovely wife , I still have good memory's of that absolutely fantastic lunch that
    we had last year , the food was better than any restaurant by far .

How did the seeds the go ? Any success ?

• Like Like x 2
  6. denpet

Ratings:
    +351 / 96
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Will also bring
    Yellow Split peas
    Chickpeas
    Brown beans
    Horseradish

• Like Like x 2
  7. denpet

Ratings:
    +351 / 96
    Blood Type:
    O+
    For sure. The more we are planting them, the higher the chance someone will succeed.

• Like Like x 2
  8. denpet

Ratings:
    +351 / 96
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm setting up an experimental aquaponics growing in my back yard in Valencia.
    Lots of fun to do something different. Tilapia and turtles are in the pond. Looking forward to plant some lettuce, tomatoes and chilies when I'm back.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I actually posted that? sh*t. That's one that was never meant to be seen. :oops:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I could go for about a hectares worth of coca seedlings. I would make do with a few cannabis seedlings if you are short on the coca seeds. :wink:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2