Dumaguete Info Search

Seed and Plant exchange in begining of March

Discussion in 'Horticulture' started by Dave & Imp, Feb 26, 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Photos of seed exchange Part 1

Obviously since this event change from a Seed and Plant Exchange to a Seed and Plant Exchange there was not enough times to get the seeds germinated and ready to go home with people. Many people wanted germinated seeds, most of the seeds did not have time to germinate in a little over a week. There are many pots of vegetables still available, and fertilizer also. Most likely there will be another Exchange in 3 to 4 weeks when the seedlings are ready to go home with people if there is interest.

Here are more photos:
    I forgot to mention that Nice_Sherwood made a brief appearance, but the most important aspect of her visit was her donation of two Pizzas. Very much appreciated... Thanks Nice... you are living up to your name. View attachment 10153
    More Hibiscus in blooms: View attachment 10154 View attachment 10155
    Here is a seedling held up against the flower from the mother plant: View attachment 10156
    View attachment 10158
    Here are Mahogany trees, the new ones, one planted about a month ago, and the tall ones planted about 14 months ago. They grow very fast. View attachment 10159
    I do have a pest problem; there names are "Brat" and "Trouble". They can be found most evening and mornings playing in the plants: View attachment 10161
    Bags of Fertilizer available: View attachment 10157
    While everyone was enjoy the plant discussions, my other avocation was producing insider the house. Have additions to my cat herd. "Girl" had here first liter of kittens: View attachment 10160

I hope everyone enjoyed themselves, I did. Hopefully if there is interest expressed we can have another when more of the seeds germinate in the pots and are ready to take home.

Any one who got plants or seeding, or seedlings, please post your results

Attached Files:

2. OP
    OP
    Dave & Imp

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    You were missed

Hopefully we will have another in a few weeks to distribute the germinated seeds and you will be able to attend. You were part of the discusions (not part of the fertilizer discussion area mentioned in earlier threads) and were missed.

3. GOGROUPER

GOGROUPER DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    We would like to thank Dave & Imp for extending a gracious,educational meeting.For those that missed this,my take away was once again this simple act shows people the type of members that associate with this forum.Hope all is well Jacko.Thom

4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082

Thank you for the thought Thom, not to muddy the waters on Dave's Thread, I will just say, Bed Rest and keep taking the tablets should, sort the problem :D

Reading the reports and the Thank's coming to Dave, I know, I missed a good Outing O-|

JP

5. niskivich

niskivich DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mr. Peterson,

so sorry to hear that! Pls get well ASAP. Hope to see you next time!

6. OP
    OP
    Dave & Imp

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Join the gardening group is you are interested in staying connected.

For those interested in Gardening, Please join the Gardening group on the forum. I have posted some photos from the Seed and Plant Exchange this weekend. By joining you will be announcing you are interested in gardening and can located other forum members with the same interests so we can all be connected and network when necessary. We can post information for the group, such as where to buy peanut compost etc. :smile:
    To join the Gardening group, Go to you profile, then look under groups. Click on the Gardening group and there is a spot to indicate you are joining in the upper right hand corner.

7. OP
    OP
    Dave & Imp

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    More seedling are coming along to be picked up

The watermelon and zucchini seed are germinating well now. They will probably out grow their pots by the end of the month. Please PM me if you want some, the tomatoes and eggplants and other seeds are still germinating but have not taken off yet.

Red Watermelon Germinated: View attachment 10199

Red Watermelon, Planted in pot on 2/28, planted in ground on 3/7: View attachment 10206

Watermelon Yellow Dew Germinated: View attachment 10200

Tomato Beef Steak, maybe available by end of month: View attachment 10201

Basil, crowded in pots with multiple seeds, very small still, maybe available by end of month: View attachment 10202

Zucchini Black Beauty, available by end of month: View attachment 10203

Zucchini Hybrid Felix F1, available by end of month: View attachment 10204

Zucchini Hybrid Felix F1, Planted in pot on 2/28, planted in ground on 3/7, has almost reached to of protective and supportive stand: View attachment 10205

Okra planted in ground 3/7: View attachment 10207

Please post the positive results you are getting on your plants here. If you are getting negative results and they have died just use the Filipino way of responding... deny everything and smile or stare...:D...

Attached Files:

8. redneck

redneck DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I would love a zucchini plant (maybe 1 of each type!) And a beef steak tomato plant. Let me know cost!! I have started growing Kang Kong from cuttings and so far are making me APPEAR to have a green thumb (however, I don't think you need thumbs at all to grow Kang Kong!)

9. OP
    OP
    Dave & Imp

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    If growing plants puts a smile on your face :smile: that is all you need, the green thumb is optional. I should have eight of each plant type of Zucchini, Felix and Black Beauty available if they all survive and grow. My own plant in the ground of Zucchini Felix is growing like a weed, the but we will need fruit to increase the size of our smiles. :D I would always suggest you get two of each type for pollination purposes, and the possibility that one dies.

We have been selling the pots for 10 P, but the Zucchin Felix should be 12 P because it very expensive seed for some unknown reason. Kelpguy donated the Black Beauty seed so it is still 10 P. Since the Zucchini are Robinson's market sells for 200 P a kg you can actually save good money by growing your own and have a feeling of accomplishment also.

I am going to investigate using a stronger pot in the future so they may raise the prices a small amount. I do not like the posts I am using because they are two flexible and can cause the roots on the plants to break if they flex too much. The older plants do not have a problem but young plants can lose too much of the root system.

Let me know how many you want of each or any others.

10. redneck

redneck DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Dave, I will gladly purchase 2 of each of the zucchini plants and 2 tomato plants!! I will need instructions!! :-) Thanks!!