Dumaguete Info Search

Seed and Plant exchange in begining of March

Discussion in 'Horticulture' started by Dave & Imp, Feb 26, 2014.

1. redneck

redneck DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Do you there is any chance Brussels Sprouts can be grown here? Where could we get ahold of some seeds?

2. OP
    OP
    Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Brussel Sprouts - information???

I do not know if it grows here or not. Does anyone else have any information on Brussels Sprouts? If you can buy them in the market you can probably growth them here... if you can't???

I buy most of my seed at Nijosa. It is located about 1 block south of the Siliman Porta Building. DO NOT LET ALL THE DRESSES AND CLOTHING IN THE FRONT WINDOW FOOL YOU. It has many other things inside, including the best selection of seeds I have found in Dumaguete.

When looking for specific seeds in Nejosa, do not just look at the first seed packet in the front of the row, as there are many different types of seed in each row behind the first seed packet. There is usually a lady there watching to see if you are stuffing your pockets, and she is quite helpful in locating items for you.

3. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    We get pur cauliflower from Valencia up near the pldt tower for around p60-70 kg. along with other veg which is very cheap! Brussel sprouts cannot be anywhere,last we bought were in Cebu frozen and were not that nice.

4. redneck

redneck DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Having quite the black thumb, but very interested in learning how to turn it more a shade of green, I would be very interested in attending, Dave! I will bring some sort of food to contribute. Just tell me what I can bring! (No T-bone steak orders please).
    Just tonight I stuck the roots from the wansoy I purchased in some water, and I will try planting them tomorrow if it isn't a stupid idea? Can you re-plant the roots with any success? If not I will just pitch them and start with seed.

5. OP
    OP
    Dave & Imp

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Take the risk and experiment a little

Take the risk and experiment a little. I tried that with Filipinas which is why I am happy just growing plants now. O-|

The college (California State Polytechnic University) I went to had a simple motto: “Learn by doing.” I am still using that method today. It is a very practical approach.

I am not sure I am familiar with Wansoy, maybe I have a “black pan” in the kitchen. Applying my college motto, I would suggest you stick a little of it in soil, keeping it moist all the time, but not flooded. Put another part in the small container of water with a very small amount of sugar added, and in the view of sunny light. A third group as with the second with direct sunlight. Lastly if you are not successful bring the plant with you on Saturday, March 8, and I will give you some more suggestions.

If is is parsley, then I have planted some curly leaf parsley in small pots yesterday.

6. redneck

redneck DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Thanks for those suggestions!

7. OP
    OP
    Dave & Imp

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Collectiing seeds for free

Filipinos are much more into simple survival techniques than foreigners are in most cases. They generally do not go out and buy seed but harvest seed and cuttings as they walk through their environment. When I moved into my house about 14 months ago they was one bright orange flowering plant. Now that same plant is almost a weed in the yard as it has become so prolific from seeds. Vegetable seed can even be found in the produce you buy.
    I will show you how to collect seed from this plants and others, and start them growing on Saturday, March 8, at the plant and seed exchange if you are interested. Here are some photos of the plant. It is easy to grow.
    View attachment 10046

Attached Files:

8. GOGROUPER

GOGROUPER DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Dave,since we are starting from scratch- and will buy 2-4 of most everything(except eggplant)what do you recommend we bring to transport/carry whatever we buy ? thom

9. OP
    OP
    Dave & Imp

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Bring plastic bags to carry the plants.

Thom that is a good question... plastic bags like you get at the market. I only use a motorcycle and carry almost everything on it in plastic bags. It would be good if you did not stop somewhere on your way home and park in the sun as that is hard on the plants. If you are in a car, still bring a plastic bag as it will stop getting dirt or water in your car.

Please note, some of the new seedling may not be ready to be moved safely home. The bags/pots available here are not very strong or stable in shape and actually seem to depend on the plant's root to hold the shape. Newly planted seed pots sometimes become just a crumple of dirt which breaks all the new roots up, and the seedling will die. There may be a second trip required when the new seedlings are a little stronger. I do have mature plants ready to travel but they are generally not vegetables.

I would suggest someone buys no less than 2 of anything they desire. They can plant them in two different locations at home, hopefully finding the best location for future plantings. I will explain about the different orientations and micro-climate affects on the plants.

10. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    The Mouse has been pestering me for sunflowers if anyone has...

Larry