Dumaguete Info Search

Seed and Plant exchange in begining of March

Discussion in 'Horticulture' started by Dave & Imp, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Mary, just come out of your house and turn left. Keep going, you will come to it. Can't miss it. Even Pinya could find it :p

2. niskivich

niskivich DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mr.Broadside,

are you also coming? Thanks for advice. Hope to be as smart as Pinya =)

3. OP
    OP
    Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Thanks for the help

Thanks for you help, Go Grouper. Nice_Sherwood has offered to bring Pizza in a later post. Thanks for all the offers, I will accept all....Any one up to bring Roosted Pig? ... just kidding.

4. OP
    OP
    Dave & Imp

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Seed and plant exchange today

View attachment 10135
    SEED AND PLANT EXCHANGE TODAY
    MARCH 8, 9 to Noon
    There is a seed and Plant Exchange today in Bacong, on the Bacong to Valencia road today.
    THE PURPOSE: The purpose is to create more interest in growing your own vegetables and flowers by exchanging seeds and plants. If you are tired of paying up the 75 P for a packet of 100 – 200 seeds and only using 10 seed this exchange is for you. You can trade seed with new friends who are interested in garden. If you do not have seeds to trade, you can buy seed usually at the price of 1 P per seed. So for less than 50 P you can have a garden of seed, or buy planted seed. Seeds will be trade on a 1 for 1 ratio except for a few expensive varieties.
    This is Community service project put on by an Expat for those who enjoy gardening. I am hoping more people will be able to plant more varieties this year without added expenses. It is open to all people.
    WHO WILL BE THERE: There will be “green thumbs” and “black thumbs” there representing the experts to the plant killers. Come and find out how to be more successful with you garden this year.
    WHAT WILL BE THERE: Presently they are over 30 varieties of vegetable seeds and some flower seeds available. The total seed available is over a 1000 seed and no one has shown up to trade yet, just volunteers dropping off seed at my house.
    There are close to 200 hundred pots of vegetables planted because people want growing plants not seeds. These are for sale from 10 P on up. Most have not germinated yet, as the requests for plants was just received this week.
    View attachment 10136

THERE WILL BE SOME REFRESHMENT: However since most of the refreshments are arriving on a voluntary “Potluck” arrangement the quantities may be minimal. You are encouraged to bring snack for others
    HOW TO GET THERE: My house is located in Cambado, Bacong, located on the Bacong-Valencia Road. The house has a yellow block/stucco wall with wrought iron on top of it in a scalloped pattern and with flowering plants and foliage in front of the wall. The Wall has orange columns and trim.
    View attachment 10137

From Dumaguete or any place north of Bacong:
    Go south to the Central market area of Bacong, turn right and go up two intersections and then turn right. Again, Go two intersections and turn left. Then go one intersection and turn right, you will now be on a dirt road (this is a detour road because of road construction). Go one block and turn left onto the Bacong-Valencia road which is dirt under construction for less than 0.1KM and you will be on the Bacong-Valencia Road, , heading west. My house is approximately 0.6 KM on the right after getting on paved road. If you have gotten to Bambulo Resort, you have gone too far… read directions from Valencia. (PLEASE NOTE: The Bacong-Valencia Road is under construction which is why you have to detour through town.)
    From Dauin or anyplace south of Bacong:
    Just turn left off the National Highway into Central market area and follows the directions above from the Central Market.
    From Valencia:
    Go east on the Bacong - Valencia road toward Bacong. Once you pass Bambulo Resort on the left, my house is an addition 0.9 KM on the left.
    FERTILIZER AVAILABLE: Ammonium Phosphate, (16-20-0) which usually sells at 125-130 P per kilo is available at 80 P per Kilo. I have purchased Ammoniun Phosphate in commercial quantity 50 KG bags and re-bagged it into smaller bags.
    INFORMATION AVAILABLE: Demonstrations on how to: gather seed from existing plants, planting seed, transplanting from pots to ground, taking cutting, planting cuttings and mixing soils will be held.
    EVERYONE IS WELCOME. IF THERE IS A GOOD RESPONSE WE WILL HAVE ADDITIONAL EXCHANGES THROUGH OUT THE GROWING SEASON HERE.
    CONTACT INFORMTION: Dave Closson, CP: 091607038 (texts are preferred)

Attached Files:

5. niskivich

niskivich DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks to anyone who came.
    And a big great thank you to Dave &Co who made that possible and shared their experience and scientific approach to the growing he-he. Hope to succeed with your seeds and advice.

Good luck
    Mary
    To Jack and Roger:
    There is a small parcel delivered by Her Majesty's Secret Service to you, gentlemen. There, at Dave's place. If by any chance you're not there today we'll find another way to have it delivered to you ehe-he =)

6. Vicmico

Vicmico DI Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Dave, thanks for the interesting and educational info you provided and for the seeds and fertilizer you made available. Enjoyed my visit and learned a few things....

Vicmico

7. OP
    OP
    Dave & Imp

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Photos of seed exchange Part 1

I think everyone who came for the Seed and Plant Exchange enjoyed their time. There was a lots of conversation about plants, fertilizer, bullshit and other forms of fertilizers -:smile: , collecting seed, making cutting, taking cuttings I want to thank Mary, GoGrouper, Nice_Sherwood for bring some refreshments. Here are some pictures:
    Hibiscus that Gogrouper had cutting made from: View attachment 10144
    Gogrouper's cutting in pots: View attachment 10145
    Mary looking at Cabbage seed package: View attachment 10146
    Marry's Zucchinni plants: View attachment 10152
    Wheeling and deal at the Seed Exchange: View attachment 10147
    Seed review at seed table with Minnie and Vicmico: View attachment 10148 View attachment 10149
    Imp (and Spooky) made an appearance... I think Imp signed some autographs View attachment 10150
    The many vegetables in pots, most had not germinated yet: View attachment 10151

Attached Files:

8. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    :(Dave, sorry I did not make it, a little health problem on Wednesday put me in hospital Friday and Saturday, left it a day too long this time, all is as well now, as much can be expected, when all your vitals are way over limits.

Catch up with you soon. :smile:

JP

9. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    :confused: Well intrigued is the word here, Mary,

Sorry I did not make it but a health issue, seemed to beckon me, as a prior engagement.

It looked as if you all, had a good time,

No doubt our paths will cross again, in the not too distant future.

JP

10. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Thanks, Dave, for putting this together.

Larry