Dumaguete Info Search

How to Send a Private Message

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & User Feedback' started by Rye83, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I see many people are thinking that profile posts are private messages. This is something I don't like about this software....but there isn't much I can do about it. I'll walk you through sending a private message here.

1. Move your mouse over your use name (but do not click) on the top right of the page. Once you do this a drop down menu will open up.

Screenshot from 2014-12-06 11:02:52.png

OR you can move your mouse over the "Inbox" tab next to your user name and then click "Start a New Conversation" (if you do this skip to step 3).

2. Once you are in the conversation page click on "Start a New Conversation".

Screenshot from 2014-12-06 11:03:39.png

3. After you have clicked "Start a New Conversation" click in the "Participants" field and start typing the user name you want to send a message to. If there are users with similar names it will give you an option on which one to send it to. You can send a message to more than one person at a time (I think up to 5 people in a conversation).

Screenshot from 2014-12-06 11:03:53.png

4. Type your Conversation title and then type the message you want to send. You can send pictures and files the same as starting a new thread.

Screenshot from 2014-12-06 11:04:49.png

5. Once you are finished typing your message click "Start a Conversation" to send the message. A notification will pop down saying the conversation has been created and then it will reload to your inbox page.

Screenshot from 2014-12-06 11:05:02.png

2. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Another way to send a message to a user is just to click on their profile name or avatar picture. When you do that you will see a pop up with the user's information and an option to "Start a Conversation". This will take you directly to step 3 above and have the name automatically filled out.

Screenshot from 2014-12-06 11:32:22.png

If you go to a persons profile page and type a message in there it will be a public post, not a private one. Oddly enough I don't see a place to send a private message on a person's profile page. I'm confused by this. I will put in a request to the software programmers to fix this issue.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ShawnM

ShawnM Living the dream, Plan B ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,767 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Wrye,,,I received a PM from a member, I got the notification in my personal email with the message but when I looked at my inbox on the forum the message was missing. I replied to the PM but am unclear it was received.

Shawn

4. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It is possible to delete a private message that you sent for 5 minutes. It's possible that it was deleted but the email was still sent.

5. ShawnM

ShawnM Living the dream, Plan B ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,767 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Make sense, thanks Wrye.

Shawn

• Like Like x 1