Dumaguete Info Search

Sending a small generator in a BB box?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Chriswlan, Jul 15, 2023.

1. Chriswlan

Chriswlan DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    I searched and checked and can't find that listed in the prohibited items.

I got a small one with few hours, that would sell here for very little, and shipping that box would cost me under USD 70, so... Any idea?

Tks

2. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I would do it if I were you. I know lots of guys who sent small engines in BB boxes in the past and I have no reason to believe things have changed. I would be careful about labeling it. A box labeled "generator" might go missing easier than a box labeled "nuts, bolts and miscellaneous". As car parts are prohibited, I would be careful not to use the words car, part, or engine in your description.

3. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,483 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    would this gen output 110 50hz ?

4. OP
    OP
    Chriswlan

Chriswlan DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    Mechanical governor, cheapie, no inverter. Easy to adjust: in my case I may slow from 60 to 55 or 50 to ease off on the little engine!!!

As for the 110, being an ABnormal person, my place anywhere will be a proper split phase with the appropriate outlets. [if there is guests, there will be courtesy cheapo flimsy plug adapters available...]

BTW: on UTube I saw ph BOHECO utility yards full of SPLIT PHASE pole transformers, and obviously the center terminal is not used. But the vid mentioned that on request the customer could get the 3 wires... And also a customer can own their own pole transformer -which should go a long ways on avoiding sagging voltages.

Looks like I'll ship some sort of "home electrical backup system". Or "anti brown out electricity".... LOL. I'll just make sure the gas is fully empty, ask some absorbent padding, and double seal for smell and fumes.... No huge loss in any case: was an on sale special.

Tks guys!