Dumaguete Info Search

Sending money to Dumaguete

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by dodong, Jun 4, 2012.

1. dodong

dodong DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    What are the best ways of sending money to Dumaguete from the states? In the long run, I plan to have a dollar account there and send checks from here. But I need a short-run method in the meantime. I know western union is expensive. I've heard of Xoom, but don't know anything about it. Are there better businesses to use?

I found an old thread on this subject, but would like more current information if possible.

Thanks!

2. darkside

darkside DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wells Fargo is affiliated with BPI and is $ to $...

3. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    I right a check to myself and deposit it to my Account here at BDO. BDO puts a hold on it for 4 weeks but the good thing is it cost me nothing to move the money from the US to here. If in a hurry try this, . I have not used then so can not tell you if they are any good or not.

4. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    HSBC bank has a branch in Cebu (next to Ayala) has multi currency account (HSBC Advance) and has several branches in the USA.
    If one of the branches is near your place, a money transfer within the same bank may be possible.
    HSBC branches in the USA:HSBC ATM and Branch Locations

5. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    The hot ticket, is to open a free Charles Schwab account while in the U.S. You get a free debit card with a M/C logo that can be used for free anywhere in the world. How can this be? Yes, you will be charged a fee at most ATM's, but Charles Schwab will credit your account for ALL ATM fees monthly! There is no minimum balance either!!

6. devildog4

devildog4 DI Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +5 / 3
    I've been sending money to my wife's family in Dumaguete for 12 years with western union. It costs 12 bucks to do it, never had a problem and they get it in minutes...

7. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    You will not get hassle free or quicker than Western Union. The next cheaper and quicker to any PI bank account would be if you had a PNB remit office in your city, there are about 40 offices in the states, the online site they have usually takes 5 days but it is only about $6 depending on the amount you send. The cheaper it gets usually results in longer gaps between when you actually get the money.

8. john reynolds

john reynolds DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    My Wife uses one of My Stateside ATM cards to withdraw money in Dumaguete every week. The ATM fee now is at least 200+ pesos for every transaction and the maximum withdrawel amount per transaction is 10,000 pesos depending on which bank You use. If what You're saying about Charles Schwab is true then that's very generous of Them....Definately gonna have to look into this one......Cheers Mate

9. Steve4910

Steve4910 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Navy Federal Credit Union will credit your bank account up $10 dollars on ALL ATM fees monthly. You will have to open up or a direct deposit e checking account. The catch is that you will have to be active military,prior military or have a Son/Daughter or maybe prior military for your kids in order to open up an account. What I like about this bank is that if you lose your visa debit card or it has to be replaced, the bank will send you a replacement card by Federal Express to the Philippines for a small fee something like $15 dollars. They also have a local Philippine number that you can use to discuss banking needs or you can call collect and they will accept the charges. I don't know of any American bank that does that other than them.

10. onlymichael

onlymichael DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Watch out Charles Schwab if ur living outside usa

If you do an exhaustive search on Charles Schwab, you will find, as I did, at least two instances of them closing a person's check account without warning because they decided the person was living outside the USA which is prohibited under the CS account you are referring to.