Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Series of shootings/killings in Negros Oriental

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    If anyone enters another person's property without authority, it is very likely they intend to cause harm. The occupier has every right, IMO, to take effective preventative action and not wait to see what occurs (when it might be too late).

Allow me a shotgun and I would paint my walls with anyone who tried to act against my home, without clarifying first if it only my money or if it is my life they seek.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. koolaukid

koolaukid DI Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 3
    3 nights ago two of my sisters in law were waiting at the intersection of Palinpinon Road and Legarda Street when some guy drove up on a motorbike and shot a food vendor 3 times. This happened about 20 meters away from where the girls were. I've been watching the news but there has been no mention of the incident or what happened or whether the food vendor survived. Makes me wonder how often this happens that we are unaware of.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    One thing a person who handles firearms always learns, never fire a 'warning' shot, that bullet will land somewhere, and it could possibly be into an innocent person. Another thing, never brandish a weapon unless you are prepared to use it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Happy Camper

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Not just here, I could name some places in the US that seem worse now. I feel safer here than I would in any major Cities in the US.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I'll stick with the baseball bat (or anything resembling that). Should be adequate for almost every eventuality I think.
    I fired plenty firearms (pistols, Uzi's, semi-automatic FAL rifles, .50 machine guns, LAW's, mortars, 25 pounders, and M109 artillery) about 50 years ago, but ever since witnessing a deadly accident with a gun near the end of my time in the army I vowed never to touch one again.

As for ordinary citizens owning guns, that's obviously a real hot potato politically.
    Emotions can run very high when debating this issue.
    I will just say that in certain countries many people seem oblivious to the very different circumstances at the time their constitution was written, and oblivious to the loud and clear facts about differences in crimes (and accidents) with firearms when comparing countries where it is easy to own/obtain a gun vs. countries where that is hard/illegal.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Glendazumba

Glendazumba DI Forum Adept

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    We are a country run by hoodlums, it seems.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I note in my home country that cases are reported on by the press, national and local, from the day of the incident to the time of sentencing - and if no-one is caught for a serious crime then the case is brought up again at times. Here there seems little reporting on the process concerning a serious crime - perhaps nothing to report on! - and that lack of scrutiny can be a reason for laxness. However, if a foreign alien (tautology intentional) merely raises his voice, it becomes national news - from time of incident to deportation. Your country needs to look inwards more for the source of its problems and its inadequacies instead of trying to scapegoat the rest of the World.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Happy Camper

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    When I lived in the US I had a 9mm, in the military I was an expert marksman, and kept up at the range. I always said that one of the scariest sounds and intruder, who does not know their way around your home like you do, is the sliding of the bolt to chamber a round. It tells them you are armed and know they are in there.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Roadwitch80

Roadwitch80 DI Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 62
    Authorities are probably THE masterminds of this trade.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Glendazumba

Glendazumba DI Forum Adept

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Great to hear that, at least, in spite of our shortcomings, people still feel safe in this country.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1