Dumaguete Info Search

Series of shootings/killings in Negros Oriental

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by Glendazumba, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    One thing a person who handles firearms always learns, never fire a 'warning' shot, that bullet will land somewhere, and it could possibly be into an innocent person. Another thing, never brandish a weapon unless you are prepared to use it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,589 / 2,888
    :wink:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,589 / 2,888
    Yes, wives getting their husbands into duels. What can we do!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Always remember the 21 foot rule with guns and holsters. Now that is social distancing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I'll stick with the baseball bat (or anything resembling that). Should be adequate for almost every eventuality I think.
    I fired plenty firearms (pistols, Uzi's, semi-automatic FAL rifles, .50 machine guns, LAW's, mortars, 25 pounders, and M109 artillery) about 50 years ago, but ever since witnessing a deadly accident with a gun near the end of my time in the army I vowed never to touch one again.

As for ordinary citizens owning guns, that's obviously a real hot potato politically.
    Emotions can run very high when debating this issue.
    I will just say that in certain countries many people seem oblivious to the very different circumstances at the time their constitution was written, and oblivious to the loud and clear facts about differences in crimes (and accidents) with firearms when comparing countries where it is easy to own/obtain a gun vs. countries where that is hard/illegal.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. hiddenuser

hiddenuser Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

so i think we all know that science and technology have had as a prime objective to move the kill zone out as far as possible. to that end my trek hybrid 21 speed bike has four hard points. on three are mounted a 30 inch bamboo pole, a rock and a jar of cayenne pepper. for close in work the fourth has a kitchen knife honed to a dull edge

i recently added a face mask that pictures a snotty nose. last but not least we all need to remember even mike tyson resorted to using his teeth in hand to hand work! NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. koolaukid

koolaukid DI Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 3
    3 nights ago two of my sisters in law were waiting at the intersection of Palinpinon Road and Legarda Street when some guy drove up on a motorbike and shot a food vendor 3 times. This happened about 20 meters away from where the girls were. I've been watching the news but there has been no mention of the incident or what happened or whether the food vendor survived. Makes me wonder how often this happens that we are unaware of.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    As you say, emotions can run high, for some people at least. I just want you to see the issue from one American perspective.

As for the people in “some countries” ( I wonder which Country that could be) who are oblivious, people in “other countries” who obviously did not/could not attend USA civics classes and whose constitutions are based on a principle that governments grant certain rights to the people, they need to understand the philosophy of our Constitution.

Our country’s bill of rights does not “grant” basic rights but it “respects” certain rights inherent to humanity. The difference between “grant” and “respect” is key.

The right to defend life and property already existed at the time our Constitution was first written in 1781, when single-shot long rifles were the norm but the right still exists today. The right to bear “arms” doesn’t specify Kentucky long rifles (actually quite deadly in self-defense) or AK-47 or AR-15’s. It just says “arms”. Arms are used to defend people, their families and if necessary their elected government. Yes, like all natural rights they can be abused.

But how can any government legitimately grant a right to self-defense that we already have, or, take it away? Answer: Only if the people cede one or more of their natural rights to the government. Our founders believed that doing do was unwise. Indeed modern history has shown many times that governments can turn from benign to tyrannical in just a few years; perhaps you know examples of some Country(s) I am referring to here.

If I still lived inside the boundaries the country you referred to, I probably wouldn’t bother buying a gun, just a good alarm system and a reliable sheriffs department would probably suit me well in rural NC. At least, as long as things remain as safe as they are today. But I defend the fact the no government has the right to take away any rights inherent to people including the right to self defense by any means equivalent to force that may be used against me.

The mere existence of abusers of the second amendment does not take away any right that is naturally endowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Aotearoa

Aotearoa DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 1
    I thought residents of the Philippines were allowed to own guns? I saw a few posts stating that only citizens are able to. Which if correct?

10. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    To own a gun you must be a citizen. A license is required as well. From what I have heard the licencing process is fairly involved, even including a phycological evaluation.
    Foreigners need not apply

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1