Dumaguete Info Search

SERIOUS COVID

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Notmyrealname, Dec 12, 2020.

1. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 1,261
    It may or may not be a scam. China bought the Pfizer vaccine as they do not expect theirs will be ready until June.
    Oddly the Chinese plan to deliver their vaccine to the Philippines in March.
    Go figure!

3. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    Also go figure out why a poor country would commit to buying the most expensive vaccine on the market.

4. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    In Peru (South America) they stopped giving the Chinese vaccine out as one person has now got paralyzed arms due to it. Real news!!!! Be careful out there. I myself will wait till half the population is vaccinated and then add 6 months on that, than I will get vaccinated.

As far as thread title (serious Covid) all Countries have failed tremendously. Even now I see hundreds walk past my home daily with no mask. When there were no cases in my area, people took more care at the beginning of the out-break! Now with 10 cases and or +.......... seems no one gives a crap. Seems the only important thing here is a scooter and a cell phone load. No food, hydro, job, fridge, clean water needed........ just load that idiot box phone up and walk down the middle of the darn street, If not that....fly your Kite, do plastic chair sitting duty, or take up the bump on a log hobby. Continue asking Foreigner's to give you all their money...yeah ..... that otta work ....... Cheers!

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Most shouldn't. 99.9%+ recovery rate for the vast majority of people.

6. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    Incorrect. Current UK Nhs Uk guidance points to a spectrum of problems persisting in 10% of post viral ‘recovered’ patients lasting up to 12 weeks or longer. ‘Long Covid’ has a remarkable overlap with the syndrome known as Medically Unexplained Symptoms (MUS). Plenty of evidence for ‘burnout’ through the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal (HPA) axis with that one. For example, the experience of pain is potentiated. Doing an ‘apples n oranges’ meta-analysis on this atm. Recovery ain’t that simple either way. Hope no-one here is part of the 10%.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Toto

Toto DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +666 / 205
  8. Toto

Toto DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +666 / 205
    Thanks. I hadn't read any stats, nor do I understand what HPA is, so I found this in BMJ and will study it. And it notes 10% is lower than some other observational studies.
    https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3026

9. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Only if they are selfish and do not care about those around them.

The concept here is that we work together to create a greater good for all. Not simply act with a selfish zero sum attitude where ones personal success is at the loss of another.

Many people are selfish and overly swayed by their personal emotional preconceptions. So much so that they readily believe in either erroneous "facts" or information severely skewed to their preconceptions.

It may be true that for a percentage of the young population there is a very high recovery rate. But to use this as justification to not make simple efforts (wear a mask) to resist the spread of the disease that will hurt others, is just plain selfish.

On the other hand, there are casualties in war. If one can form an argument that letting a few die is justified by less stringent actions against the spread of the disease. Then they should make that argument specifically relative to the stringent action being considered or implemented.

For example one could make a case that automobile manufacturing plants should continue to operate because workers are mostly not in close proximity to each other and can work in a way that minimizes spread. Wear a mask. If the plant is closed people lose their income and that manufacturer loses market share against manufacturers in other countries that were able to continue making product. Causing severe long term negative impacts.

In your response to a comment about people who do not give a crap about wearing a mask, you stated that "Most shouldn't" because they are in a group that has a high recovery rate.

Some would see this as an extremely selfish position. That the trivial inconvenience of wearing a mask justifies subjecting others to a disease that may kill them.

The Covid-19 recovery rate is not 99.9%
    https://fullfact.org/health/Covid-recovery-vaccine/

10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The recovery rate is quite high for all age groups. Those that are worried about it should self-isolate and stop putting the burden on those that have little chance of getting seriously ill. I personally think that the world should stop all these crazy restrictions and get on with life (sure, continue to wear masks, social distance when possible, wash hands frequently but shutting down entire economies is f'n ridiculous and causes far more harm and hardship than it could ever prevent). All the money being spent/lost protecting people that have a very low risk of serious complications and death should instead be directed in forced isolation (and financial/medical support) of those in high risk categories and those that get seriously ill.

Note: I'm looking at this as an American and the social safety nets in the US (meaning the complete lack of them) and any other country that gives as little of a sh*t about their citizens as the US.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1