Dumaguete Info Search

How to Setup Two-Step Verification

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & User Feedback' started by Rye83, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The latest forum update had 2 step verification added to the main software so I have deleted the older 2-step mod that I had added. If you wish to use this extra layer of security here is how you do it. (Note: You will need a smartphone to use the method I go over here.)

1. Log in and click on your user name in the top right and click "Two-Step Verification".
    Screenshot (116).png

2. Click "Enable" on the "Verification Code via App". (If you don't have a smart phone you will not be able to proceed past this point. Use "Email Confirmation" if you don't have and authentication app on your phone.)
    Screenshot (117).png

2a. From here you will need to open your two-step authentication app on your phone. (I recommend Google Authenticator and this tutorial will be done with this app.)
    Screenshot (118).png

3. Once you have opened Google Authenticator on your phone click the three dots (settings) and then "Set up account"
    Screenshot_2015-09-09-11-57-48.png

4. Scan the bar code from 2a or enter the key provided under the QR barcode.
    Screenshot_2015-09-09-11-57-53.png

5. Once you correctly scan the QR barcode or the provided key you will see the account added to the list on the app. These numbers will change around ever 30 seconds.
    Screenshot_2015-09-09-11-58-43.png

6. Go back to DI page shown in step 2a and enter the 6 digit code provided by the app into the box and hit confirm. The page will refresh and your two-step verification will be setup.
    Screenshot (119).png

I recommend creating some backup codes and store them somewhere on your computer in case your phone goes missing/has a dead batter.

The next post will tell you how this will be used during log in.

2. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Once you have activated this feature you will need to provide your normal password first and then the 6 digit code from the authentication app on your phone or from your email. Here is how it will look:

1. Log in as you normally would. (This will require the 2 step verification even if you log in via Facebook/Twitter/Goolge+)
    Screenshot (120).png

2. A second log in screen will pop up asking for your 6 digit code from the app or your email. You will need to get our your phone and open the app (or check your email for the code if you set this up to go through your email) to get the code. If you are doing this from the app you will need to do it fairly quickly as this second password changes every 30 seconds. However, it will not lock your account if you don't do this fast enough a couple times.

Note: click "Trust this device for 30 days if you do not want to do this every time.
    Screenshot (123).png

3. Click confirm and you are logged in.

Users who have this activated have a "Secured Account" badge under their avatar.

If you lock yourself out of your account you can email me and I will deactivate this feature for you so you can log in.

I personally use this feature for all my social media sites. It keeps my gf from snooping around. :wink: