Dumaguete Info Search

Should expat residents be allowed to own property/ business.

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by andiflip, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    I am wondering what the feeling is here on this one,, myself i would not allow a Filipino or any other foreign national to own land or a business in my home country unless it was reciprocal.

2. tunji oluwajuyemi

tunji oluwajuyemi DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    thats been my topic of the week..i learned about the filipino foriegner allowances to invest and share business with majority holdings in filipino nationals hands even if it was a foriegner made venture with only forign capital..also it was new that doing business could be all foriegner venture if it hired at least 10 nfilipino and probably must pay them to the new national minimum wage standard...I left there in Negros but come to find other countries I have been and am looking at,allow outright ownership of property and as many as you want and also owning businesses..some stipulate that only locals can do the work unless special permit for foregner to do work locals dont have the experience/skill to do...Cheap countries like central america almost all have liberal ownership rights and some are small countries too..Dutch antilles tiny islands allow americans to own property there bt cant live there until long drawn out process and or lots of money paid and accounted for in their banks......philippines is such high population to small land area,so i think its a tough call there...in all cases ,whoever brings more benefit to the host country table,will get more allowance....

3. paul-angie

paul-angie Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Actually, it would be prudent, in my humble opinion, for the Phil Government to think about allowing Foreigners to buy and own property and business here, the Govt could put a higher purchase tax on the property, and also charge higher yearly taxes than the Phil citizens, this would bring much more wealth into the Country for the Phil people. And, of course the staff would be mostly Philippine workers. The pricing and taxes , even though higher than for the Phil citizens, would still be attractive for Foreigners to invest here.

Paul.

4. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    I'd imagine the Filipino reluctance to let foreigners buy the land is, at least in part, blowback from this countries experience with colonialism and foreign occupation.

Seems like to me that they don't want the same foreign powers that they worked so hard to get rid of coming back with the money to buy their country out from underneath them.

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Allowing foreigners to invest and fully own businesses would really screwed up the balance of power here. Could you imagine what would happen to SM and any of the other malls if walmart was allowed to open up shop here and be fully owned and managed by a Westerner. They would go bust in less than a year. The status quo is a dangerous thing to disrupt though. I imagine that successful foreign owned businesses would be targets of vandalism from the local owned businesses with less than favorable business ethics. Competition is not welcome here.

6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    On the other side, there would be a huge conflict between foreign business standards and the ability/willingness of the local workforce to obide by those standards. I know some foreigners that own businesses and it is a constant struggle to explain what customer service is.....even showing up for work on time or just showing up seems to be beyond most of the local workforces understanding.

Owning a business here doesn't really appeal to me unless I was the only employee. Too much of a headache for me.

7. OP
    OP
    andiflip

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    Sorry dude you missed the point,, why would/should we pay more tax to invest here in a property or a business when the locals can go to nearly any country in the world and start a business or own a home and pay the same as every one else... This all boils down to Rudy's comment as usual,, we are only allowed to be here for the money we spend.. I bet that half of the politicians in this country are pretty "Happy" they can own properties in the States and Canada so they can "Dollar Salt" their ill gotta wealth away..

8. OP
    OP
    andiflip

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    I have a problem with that statement, maybe the Spanish got pushed out but certainly not the Americans. If that is so why does every Filipino think the end of the rain bow is the US>

9. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    This one made me laugh. Many think they can go to the US and pull 60k-80k peso monthly salaries. They think that's big money. Always like to burst the bubble and inform them that salary will barely cover the cost of living a below average standard of life in a medium size city, they won't be sending much money back to the family. Their expression when you tell them rent alone will run 30k-40k pesos a month is pretty amusing.

10. OP
    OP
    andiflip

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    Yep , stupidity and ignorance are the norm here, but then again i bet they can claim social insurance/ food stamps even if they are that stupid...This country is not poor, they have been raped by their own politicians and citizens, nice to blame the Americans or other nationalities but that is not the way it is.. Juan de la Cruz needs to look in the mirror and really see who is to blame for this country's problems. I had a friend years ago that had a chance to go to the states and work in a factory folding and hanging up pants for 15 thousand peso's a month.. When i told him he was going to live like a rat he didn't believe me,, he came back 3 months later and was pretty skinny..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.