Dumaguete Info Search

Government & Education Silliman University Questions

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by scubaaaron, May 26, 2011.

1. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Alternative suggestion: Take the HOMEBASED study program, a lot here in the Philippines, tuition fess varies on your type of curriculum.

2. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Scuba, if you pursue that dream, you would have to take an entrance exam at Silliman and depending on the results would be admitted or perhaps put on a probation status and on watch the first semester or if extreme bad results they may invite you not to attend.
    My recommendation would be for you to go to a junior college in Washington and get your lower division units out of the way and get an AA degree then find a way to pay for your upper division requirements at a school like Evergreen or go to Washington State U, if you can get in.
    There are very bright people with electrical engineering degrees here in the Philippines who are taking any entry level job to get their foot in the door.
    The other alternative you could do is try for a student loan and apply at the University of Phoenix or one of those offsite campus programs.
    Based on your posts, I think you would have the odds against you to succeed with a Philippines plan. But go for something but be ready for it and pursue it with vigor. Best of luck to you.

3. wambadu

wambadu DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hello, anyone knows the basic tuition fee of college in computer science course? tnx

4. daanlungsod

daanlungsod DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +83 / 11
  5. Newfie

Newfie DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you are not religious you will have no problems. Many muslims and atheists study at silliman. You will be expected to stand up when they doe their ubiquitous prayers.

Yes, you can study part time, full time or even 1 subject.

You will never survive as a foreigner in this country if your plan is to be a part time scuba instructor. The market in dumaguete is saturated and dive masters here work for less than 5 bucks a day.

Working here is very difficult evenif you study international business. There are hundreds of thousands of unemployed university graduates here.

Most likely you could enroll directly to college.

6. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I very much doubt it. :rolleyes:

7. syrkyn

syrkyn DI Member

middle age crazy
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Derivitive guru is giving you the best advice, pay is not good in this country by any means. You need to have a source of income to pay for college, housing, food and shelter here, such as a pension, or money from an inheritance, or made in business in the west, or savings from working.

8. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    I know this is an old thread that's been rejuvinated, but just wanted to add for anyone who is a US veteran that many of Silliman's programs are approved by the VA for educational benefits.

Here's a link which will allow you to search approved institutions. It won't let me link directly to the Silliman page, so you'll have to do click on the "Search by Country" link then go from there. You might be surprised how many institutions in the Philippines are approved, a legacy, I guess, from the former US bases and also due to the many Filipinos who have served in the US armed forces.

VA Approved Educational Institutions Search

9. Newfie

Newfie DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Many work for 200 per day in the dive shops jimeve which is around 5 bucks. I went through all my diving courses here in dumaguete up to dive master level.

10. London3

London3 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    how much is getting diploma there?