Dumaguete Info Search

SIM card registration

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by charlyB, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 1,261
    My SIM is Globe and I have a 13a Visa.
    Globe had "non-citizen resident" as a choice that's what I selected.

I had to use one of my life lines and phone a friend.
    Globe wanted me to upload a photo showing where I live. Maybe I was overthinking, maybe I wasn't thinking at all. What the H3ll did they want? A picture of my house? A picture of my gate? A picture of a cardboard box?
    On the advise of my friend I uploaded a photo of my ACR-I card that showed my address on the back.
    Globe could have worded their request a little better. If they had said "send us a photo of an official document showing your address.

• Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
  2. NowandThen

NowandThen DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +353 / 87
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    You think too much. We are in the Philippines. Got it ? :smile:

Gesendet von meinem M2101K6G mit Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    So they Lied AGAIN, we were told that August was the deadline to register NOW, they have changed tack and made the deadline April 26 th.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  4. Mike_Haddon

Mike_Haddon DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +305 / 31
    Did three Globe/TM yesterday in 30 minutes, including mine as foreigner. No issues. I used 13A visa card as both ID (front) and proof of address (rear). Assume it would have also accepted Phils driving license front for both.

Mike_Haddon
    This message by Mike_Haddon has been hidden. This message may be off-topic or have violated forum rules. (Show message)
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Trollin' Trollin' x 1
  5. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Your 13a is not a tourist visa.
    The non tourist visa doesn't "require" a work permit.
    The work permit is only needed when applicable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,101 / 333
    I have a UK Vodafone SIM, when i am in the Philippine's it connects through the Smart network, would i have to register it, can i register it ?
    Surely there's no way they can de-activate a foreign SIM :unsure:

7. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    As I read it.. ALL! Sim cards users are to register within the Philippines (even cards that are roaming)
    Smart can block outgoing calls, and you may receive a text from them. And is a potential fine or penalty
    even worth the risk? They will be clamping down at some point and a warning may not be forth coming. Mandatory is used in the law (compulsory, obligatory)
    What are the penalties?
    Those who fail or refuse to register their SIM cards without valid reason will be slapped with the following penalties:

• P100,000 to P300,000 on the first offense
    • P300,000 to P500,000 on the second offense
    • P500,000 to P1 million on the third and subsequent offenses

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  8. Dutchie

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I disagree that this law would require users of foreign sims to register these.
    The Sim card registration act (RA 11934) refers to "end users" and defines these as follows.
    Definition of Terms.
    As used in this Act:

(a) End-user refers to any existing subscriber or any individual or juridical entity which purchases a SIM from the public telecommunications entities (PTEs), its agents, resellers or any entity;

As a user of a foreign sim you obviously don't have a subscription with a local PTE, nor did you buy the sim from any local PTE.
    When you use the sim in the Philippines (roaming), you still get charged by your foreign provider (which then reimburses the local PTE). Obviously the Philippines has no jurisdiction over foreign PTE's. Moreover, when roaming the person using the phone doesn't even necessarily know which network it connects to.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Dutchie

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    The law says you have 180 days following the effectivity date of the law (15 days after publication in the official gazette). Publication was October 12, 2022, so the law is effective since October 27. Add 180 days and you get to April 26, 2023.
    However, the law also states that DICT (Dep. of Information and Communication Technologies) can extend this period with another 120 days.
    Obviously they won't tell you now that they will extend the registration period. In my opinion they'll make the rounds among the Telcom companies involved toward the end of April, listen to the actual registration status numbers and then decide to grant another 120 days.

10. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Hmmmm so why, is all this rubbish written about from December 27?