Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Siquijor lawer shot

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,796
    Blood Type:
    O+
    They are investigating but I don't think they are going to have to call in Sherlock Holmes to figure this one out.

What I'm really curious about here is how an attorney hasn't been disbarred for getting busted with drugs back in 2008. Oh wait, let me guess......he has been out on bail for the last 8 years and hasn't actually been convicted of a crime yet because.....it's more fun going to court in the Philippines? :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Five men, including a lawyer, fell victims to what appear to be cases of summary execution in Iloilo, Negros Occidental and Negros Oriental from Thursday to Saturday. The killings came as President-elect Rodrigo Duterte, who told police to get drug suspects dead or alive, prepared to assume office at the end of the month.

All share one thing in common—being suspected of involvement in crimes, including the illegal drug trade.

5 dead as street executions start

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. jimf

jimf DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +142 / 18
    p.s.
    I personally hope he kills every goddamm one of them!

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. jimf

jimf DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +142 / 18
    The People of the Philippines have spoken.
    They are tired of seeing their sons, daughters, husbands, wives...entire country poisoned by the scourge of drugs and corruption, directly or indirectly.
    The People elected Duterte specifically because they have become aware of the ridiculous efforts of the ruling class and law-enforcement to curb these tough issues. People of the West and beyond simply do not have the stomach to fix tough problems, but apparently that is starting to change.
    In no way can extra-judicial killings be condoned, but I'll ask you this, would you rather your country be run by drug lords, or a killer of drug lords?

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Socially, vigilantism type activities occur when the justice systems give impunity to too many people because of politics or wealth/power and the community runs out of patience for a corrupt justice system to correct itself,. Vigilantism starts handing out justice itself…. Changing the justice landscape from one of impunity for the well placed individual and giving some power to the ordinary citizen. Is it right?… probably not… but probably no better than the present system in place. Vigilantism can be eliminated, or at least reduced by operating a fair balanced justice system.

The Maguindanao massacre of 34 journalists , occurred on November 23, 2009, and still no convictions, almost 7 years. This type of justice causes vigilantism. The clan leader died of natural causes due to age, one of the accused got out for bail and ran for office last again recently. Impunity is available for those in power who can deliver the votes when necessary.

In The Philippines 176 journalist have been murder since 1986, no murders have been solved.http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/.../duterte-endorses-killing... That is called impunity in action. Vigilantism is just the opposite.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,796
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Watch how fast these drug gangs arm up and start fighting back. The Philippines is going down the same path the US did with the war on drugs. All gangs are going to do is get smarter about how they do business and buy more firepower. As long as there is a demand there will be a supply. The Philippines can't kill their way out of this problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. alex

alex DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

EXPERT BOLA BOLA
    Ratings:
    +1,296 / 1,129

·
    Shooting incident update

A lawyer from Siquijor was shot earlier today in Laguna, Brgy Looc at around 10:25am. The victim was brought to SUMC. no further information available at this time

• Informative Informative x 3
  8. Cletus

Cletus DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +357 / 107
    After many years of being pro drug war advocate I have begun to take a different view on the war on some drugs.
    In US there are many drugs prescribed by doctors and make it to the streets for sale. Only the outlaw drugs are warred against for the most part.
    I agree that drugs, all drugs, should be legalized and taxed at a reasonable amount and sold. It would instantly put the drug dealers out of business which in turn would stop the violence associated with turf wars. It would also void many crimes, which are not being enforced in Philippines any way.
    Probably not going to happen but one can dream.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +765 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    People drink and smoke despite the well-known risks of addiction, cancer etc.
    I doubt the vague chance of being shot (because being a consumer? Not going to happen even with Duterte) will stop any kid to try that forbidden stuff out. And why? Because it's forbidden. My parents always told me to never, ever try smoking. Guess what I did as soon as I got the chance?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,222 / 1,090
    Are we really surprised by this? :wideyed:

• Agree Agree x 2