Dumaguete Info Search

Smart BRO got slow

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by contrail, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Spent a lot of time in the Tambobo/Tongo area near Siaton, down at water level, surrounded by hills. The only thing that works there for me is the Smartbro usb. The antenna is on top of the hill on the Tambobo side of the inlet, near Cuckoos Nest. I can usually get 3 bars, sometimes 4 around mid-day. Drops down to 2 in the evening, but still useable although very slow. With stuff at that frequency, location and sighting are relevant. I find that if there is no signal in one place, there may be a strong signal if you move just one metre, or rotate your laptop/usb through 180 degrees.
    Hope that helps.

Roger

2. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    I have one you can borrow to try out. I had to use it in Bacong before I was able to get a wifi installed. Normally slow due to a weak signal here in Bacong, no Globe signal for my Tatoo.

3. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    I recently got Sun the other day but happen to live next to one of their towers almost so working decently as one can expect here. However I doubt they have decent or any coverage over most of Dumaguete let along Siaton and elsewhere.

Same old crap with all the internet companies though. I swear they all have an agreement with eachother to give crap service so even if you swap services your still screwed. Only seems PLDT is any better by a little bit. I know the techs they get aren't trained on anything relevant in school as I'd had time to converse with a number of students in the related fields. They don't teach the techs how to do anything other then install and make sure its connected and how to get a fake speed test using their own server in the Philippines and call it internet speed. Talk to them about bandwidth, bits, bytes, and ping and they know nothing.

4. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    thanks PatO, that'd be wonderful, i'll pmail you.

norm : ))~

5. Harold Hisona

Harold Hisona DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    good thing about smartbro usb modem is that you can have connection even if you are mobile. Or you can have connection whenever, wherever. Just don't expect really good connectivity.

I don't think Albiga is within reach of Smart base transceiver station located in poblacion siaton. If, in any way, there is Smartbro connectivity in that area, it's GPRS... that means you'll have to be satisfied with 56kbps download speed.

6. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Try to get a real wired DSL connection, usb port modem is really slow but better than no internet signal to reach you. Most of Negros Oriental celllsite is not upgraded compared to real metro cities like cebu, davao and manila. Maybe it's because theyre not getting :greedy:$ much to small cities or town thats why we're less priority from them. Lol! As always been said...only in the Philippines!!! :smile:

7. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    => I know somebody from Albiga got 1MB connection. I myself was surprised when I was there visiting them.