Dumaguete Info Search

Smart vs Globe 3G/4G Coverage

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Rye83, Dec 2, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Just picked up the phone from Johny Air in Bacolod yesterday. 2,300 pesos for the shipping.

If you order this phone make sure you buy a USB type C to USB type A cable or adapter online as well. Google doesn't send a cable that allows you to connect to a computer or different charger with the phone (odd given these phones were originally marketed to developers....who have to connect the phones to computers :meh:). I looked at every single cable and adapter in SM mall in Bacolod. They simply do not carry that type of cable there yet (even though there was a shop selling the Nexus 6P, which was naturally "out of stock, maybe next month sir", but they didn't sell the charger or any accessories for the phone).

Getting a screen protector for the phone was a massive headache too. I'd recommend ordering one of those online as well because at a store in SM......
    Me: do you have any screen protectors?
    Employee: yes, for what model sir?
    Me: what do you mean what model? It's just a strip of transparent plastic with adhesive on the back, any will do.
    Employee: yes we have those. For what model sir?
    Me: (I know exactly where this is getting ready to go at this point :meh:) you don't have one for my model. I just need one that is larger than a 5.2 inch display.
    Employee: sorry we don't have that in stock .
    Me: *points to a screen protector next to the guy* is that a screen protector for a tablet?
    Employee: yes, that's for a Samsung model. Yours is LG.
    Me: I see that but it is obviously bigger than my phone and I can cut it to make it fit. I'll take that one.
    Employee: but its not for your model sir.
    Me: are you trying to talk me out of spending money here. Here is 200 pesos, I want that one. Do you have a pair of scissors?
    Employee: sorry sir, the guy who installs screen protectors is out for lunch.
    Me: seriously? Are you just trying to mess with my head right now? I meant to give me the scissors and I'll do it myself.......you know what, don't give me the scissors because right now I'm really wanting to stab you in the face! And you really have a guy whose entire job is to install screen protectors? He must have had something other than "currently breathing" listed under work experience on his resume if they trust him to use the scissors and follow the simple 3 step instructions listed on the package! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

(Ok, I didn't say that last part, I just walked away when he said the guy was eating lunch. How do people that stupid and/or lazy even managed to keep themselves alive? Finding, buying and transporting food home and then cooking it is much more difficult than determining if some plastic is larger than a screen.)

OK rant over.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    So how do you like the phone? Have you had a chance to play around with it and check it out yet? First impressions of phone (not idiots in PI that would take all year!)

3. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I have been using it for a couple days now and I have no complaints. The fingerprint scanner works much better than I suspected it would. You don't have to swipe your finger, you just press on it and it unlocks the phone). The battery life, speaker and microphone are a major improvements from the older Nexus 5 (my 3 biggest complaints about the Nexus 5). It has a slightly larger footprint than the 5 (because they placed the speaker and mic on the front of the phone and it has a 0.2 inch larger screen). The camera and screen is higher quality. Processor has gotten a step up. Fully charges in a little over an hour (the reason for the new, and symmetrical!!!, USB type C cable). Basically everything you would expect from a newer model.

The phone is equivalent to a 30-40k peso phone here in the Philippines plus you will get the latest android updates as they come out from Google (I'm on android 6.0.1). I recommend it for those that want a Nexus device that can easily fit in your front pocket. I would recommend dishing out the extra cash for the 32GB phone if you have a lot of apps/games. If you just use it primarily as a phone then the 16GB will do. Note: neither the Nexus 5 or the 5x are capable of taking an external SD card....something that I don't really care for since I take a lot of pictures and install a ton of apps.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. DaveD

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    This is the phone I want to get also. Thanks for the info. Exactly what I was hoping for! I agree I wish it had external Micro-SD card too for same reason you listed (lots of pics, plus downloaded movies etc...) Much appreciated for the info!

5. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Why bother with a screen protector? I have had to put my phone through hell before I got tiny scratches on my screen. Probably those could have been avoided with a cover. I notice the damage everywhere else before I notice the scratches on my screen.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm not even going to bother looking for one of those. The nexus has a rubberized back and doesn't scratch easily anyways. The new one I have has a white rubberized back casing so should be even less visible than the old black one.
    Scratched screens are a pet peeve of mine. I despise the little ones that look like little hairs all over the screen. (I suppose I should just keep the phone out of the pocket I keep my keys and change.)

• Genius Genius x 1
  7. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Looks like Globe is the easy choice, are there vendors at the airports? (I have a couple hour layover in Manila, then Duma) Is there a particular plan I should look for or avoid?

8. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Avoid all plans. Get a prepaid SIM card. They cost 40-50 pesos and you can find them at any cell phone shops and many other stores. If you have crap service where you end up staying you can just buy another provider's prepaid card and swap them around as needed (or get a dual SIM card phone).

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. sudowpa2ph

sudowpa2ph DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 2
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.

I went to get a Smart PrePaid SIM Card... This is not the SMART BRO. This is the regular SIM used to make phone calls, sms and data.

Well I got the Prepaid Card from Lee Plaza. I was looking around for a decent phone number actually.

They will sell the Smart PrePaid SIM card as just a regular SIM. You have to get it cut if you have a Nano or Micro SIM phone.

The SMART BRO SIM is already cut.

Now the SIM card was 40php, but for them to CUT it to make it fit my phone cost me 50php.

I said how does cutting it with a device that already does everything for you. Just have to squeeze the handle cost more than the SIM itself.

Got a blank look on her face...

10. DaveD

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    FYI Globe sims are already precut for any phone as far as I know.

• Agree Agree x 1