Dumaguete Info Search

Snake ID

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by God Bless Texas, Sep 16, 2023.

1. God Bless Texas

God Bless Texas DI Member

Ratings:
    +294 / 17
    Wondering if anyone can accurately identify this. I eliminated cobra regardless of what neighbors say it is. I've eliminated many others, but still cant figure out the actual species. It's the 5th one I've seen recently with black top and yellowish belly.
    Not as pretty as the paradise flying snakes in the area, but still good to look at.

Attached Files:

2. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,161 / 230
    From the description you gave it looks like a " Shrub Snake"
    When in doubt leave it out!........

3. OP
    OP
    God Bless Texas

God Bless Texas DI Member

Ratings:
    +294 / 17
    Thanks, I was going with rat snake but the pics of the shrub snake seem closer.
    Non-venomous- important
    I cant seem to find a decent Philippine reptile book (or any real wildlife reference materials) here.
    Snakes have their jobs since the beginning of the Good Book and I'm ok with that.
    Leaving them alone, or helping them move along, was easier before I had a pack of puppies to worry about.
    Growing up in on the bayou playing with garder snakes (and similar) were just something to bring home to momma in a maynoase jar just to see her react. Still remember watching them wrap around my hand and trying to bite our fingers.
    A rattler or cottonmouth meant either let the cat out or get the hoe and shovel.
    Getting older I upgraded the garden tools for a single barrell 410 specifically for snakes and scaring away varment (no need to kill it if it's not a threat and I'm not going to eat it). Most varment are just looking for a meal to survive.
    Not allowed to have any of my boom sticks or their hand-held cousins here, so I'm back to garden tools, now hoe and a rake.
    Funny how life comes full circle.
    Anyway, thanks again.

4. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +2,007 / 1,093
    Many types of Rat Snake, to me this looks like a young Keeled Rat Snake. Just a stab in the dark really!

5. MikeP64

MikeP64 DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +251 / 141
    • Informative Informative x 1