Dumaguete Info Search

Utilities & Mobile Solar

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by negrosorientalron, Aug 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. negrosorientalron

negrosorientalron DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0
    I am getting tired of the frequent brownouts with Norelco. Has anybody tried solar power or had experience with a good local solar company- the costs, quality etc.

2. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Regarding solar, what is the expected return on investment?

3. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    If you have grid-tie you will still get brownouts, off- grid will cost a lot more.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    I had a good experience with a solar company on the south highway but he has sense died and so did his company.
    I signed a contract with "The Solar Guy" Jeff Davis in Jan. 2017 he quit our solar install in Jan. 2018 UNFINISHED! My wife and my handy man, with my assistance, finished the "Turn Key" install. Jeff is a very good sale person and also an even better lier.
    He stated that: He had an experienced install crew, A Lie! His crew had all the tools and equipment to do the install. A Lie! He had a licensed electoral engineer. I did not check but should have ask to see his license. This electoral engineer could not understand why a mag. starter would not work. I immediately knew that it would not work because they installed it backwards and it was not needed in the first place. The last time they installed it backwards they did NOT tighten the hot wire from the solar panels and FRIED the mag. starter! Even after I ask Jeff three times about the roof leaking (a new roof) his reply was "that there would be no leeks". A Lie! The first good storm and we had water leaking through the ceiling in three places! This install should not have taken more than a couple of days. It was more than THIRTEEN MONTHS and that was only because we finish it ourselves!
    My advice is to avoid Jeff Davis "The Solar Guy" like he was the Black Plague!

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. wolvhund

wolvhund DI Member

Ratings:
    +121 / 36
    What is the wattage on your system? I was going to reply that if you need to pump some water or keep your computer running solar will work but it isn't going to do much more than that, and the battery supply makes it even less workable, but since you have one you are in a much better position to answer about these things than me.

Still, I'd suggest a diesel generator over solar for backup power.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Looked at solar a few yrs back but as mentioned the grid tied stuff is no good for blackouts as has a saftey shutdown in the system so bought a diesel genny which does the job properly. Got sick of this so called elec co we have here.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  7. grandpainak

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    I bought a 5000 w gas back-up gen. set very soon after I moved here 9+ years ago. Living in Valencia it has got plenty of run time. Just a couple of days ago I had 5 outages in a 9 hour time frame.
    Two more lies Jeff told me is that the solar would work even if I was on the generator. LIER His pay back break even time is more than double of what he said it would be. LIER.
    My system is 3000 wattage and produces just under that at noon on a sunny day. I am on an on grid system. My bill has gone from ₱6,000.oo a month to ₱3,000.oo a month. Before I turned the air-con off my bills were running as high as ₱13,000.oo a month. A off grid system is not feasible because of the batteries. I have hopes of doubling my system bringing it to 6,000 watt.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    so to be clear your bill was 6000 a month without any aircon and now 3000 with solar ?

9. bootlegger

bootlegger DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +216 / 40
    Blood Type:
    O-
    I believe that Polaris are in partnership with a very knowledgeable, expat installer, (yes, he does estimates & properly installs solar systems with remote viewing of system efficiency, can also supply & install auto switch on generators, when Noreco fails, then auto switch off when Noreco starts again). However, he does do a lot of work around Dumaguete & province, up north in Luzon & abroad, so he may be difficult to track down. Probably best to contact Perry Loo, the owner of Polaris to see if he can put you in contact with him.

10. grandpainak

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    That is right.