Dumaguete Info Search

Zamboanguita Best Posts in Thread: Somebody got shot again today in Zamboanguita

1. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    Useless post, but I gotta say it. Welcome to the future United States, the only first world country with armed guards and metal detectors at every school, mall, and movie theatre (government bldgs and jewelry stores already have them), because the voters are too stupid to enact any form of reasonable gun control...
    just sayin (also a stupid phrase)... I feel safer here in the Philippines at age 75, although sometimes I fear that a corrupt politician is going to send a two man motorcycle after me cuz I rant and rave too much...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    The shooter in Santa Clarita only had a 45 with 6 rounds ... imagine what damage he could have done with AR15 and 60 rounds... good argument for Assault Weapon ban

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087
    They have banned guns ...Foreigners are not allowed to own or carry a gun here in the Philippines, thus they cannot apply for a gun license. This is according to the Republic Act.

As usual the symptoms are (at times) addressed and the disease left to fester. This is the wild wild west (east).

Than the long standing issue globally that bans do not stop criminals, they generally make the public more vulnerable.

Harsh and rapid punishments are IMHO what's needed and needed ASAP.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. ex231

ex231 DI Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 28
    Just make murder illegal.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  5. Glendazumba

Glendazumba DI Forum Adept

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    About three days ago, someone got shot and killed in Zamboanguita and people are saying it was drug-related. Today, another man riding his motorcycle also got shot and killed. Authorities are saying it could have been a case of mistaken identity. Tsk...tsk...tsk...

Negros Oriental should shape up. The rampant killings in the different towns like Siaton, G Manjuyod, Pamplona, Guihulngan, Zamboanguita, Dumaguete, Sibulan, etc. should stop.

Why are guns freely circulating in this country? I think the best solution is to ban the carrying of firearms in public places. People have become trigger-happy for some reason these days.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  6. wolvhund

wolvhund DI Member

Ratings:
    +121 / 36
    No, the assault gun ban didn't work:
    https://reason.com/2019/09/05/a-sus...e-federal-assault-weapon-ban-really-did-work/

Only about 300 of the 17,000 homicides each year involve a rifle so even if they eliminate all rifle murders the effect would be extremely small.

The number of fatalities in mass shootings in the US averages about 50, let's double that to 100. The number of people who die from bee stings in the US each year is about 50, 3500 die each year from drowning.

The murder rate in the US has dropped from 10.2 in 1980 to less than 5.0 today, with no significant widespread changes in gun control laws, where gun control laws have been increased there has seldom been a noticeable decrease in gun crime. This may be because it is localized, but gun control looked at by state, or internationally, has no clear effect, certainly not on its own. There are places with easy legal access to guns with low crime rates and places with high crime rates and the converse is also true.

So while I think reasonable arguments can be made on both sides, things need to be kept in context. I certainly don't think we need to be terrorizing our school kids with "active shooter drills". The rise of the internet and constant access to distant places distorts the reality and things we were blisfully unaware of before, we are now bombarded with. This distorts our perceptions and makes for poor analysis.

• Genius Genius x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 332
    In the UK it is very difficult if not impossible for a member of the public to have a legal firearm, some time ago there was a rise in knife crime so the police had a crackdown on people caught carrying knives, the next step for people who wanted to hurt someone was to throw acid at them.
    Luckily enough I have never been stabbed or covered in acid but if there was a choice I think I would go for the knife.
    We have also had terrorism attacks using hired vans driven into pedestrian areas.
    I think that people who want to harm others will always find a way no matter how many things are banned, even after every sharp / heavy object that could be used as a weapon is unavailable then it is still possible to kill with bare hands and feet.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Outcast

Outcast DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +335 / 128
    Guns are for the most part already banned from being carried by the general law abiding publuic, therefore, mostly only criminals and police, which are often one and the same, carry guns. makes you feel reeeeeaal safe, eh?

in the US, chicago has some of the countries toughest gun laws, it also has some of the highest murder rates. doesnt seem to work there either. i wonder how safe the average law abiding citizen feels there...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    Another bits the dust. It happened across from Marco's market, Friday after noon here on Burgus Street in Valencia. I was in front of this computer with the head set on. I did not hear the shots. Handy man was in the front yard and said there was 7 shots. Scuttlebutt has it; The victim was just released from jail on bail and that his drug suppliers did not want him to talk. Filipino Justus is swift and final. :dead: :thumbsup:

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. tlrtraveler

tlrtraveler DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +217 / 47
    Gun bans are a total failure wherever they are implemented. Look at Honduras, total gun ban, highest murder rate in the World or at the cities of Chicago or Baltimore to guage the effectiveness of gun control.

• Agree Agree x 2