Dumaguete Info Search

sorry to bring it up ahain

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by alex, Sep 4, 2014.

1. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
  2. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I do feel quite bad for the guy. I don't think that he is mentally stable. I don't want anything bad to happen to him as I don't think he is in full control of his thoughts and emotions. He did post on my facebook a document that shows he does have a disability (a form of Parkinson's Disease). Seeing as how the document is in Spanish I can certainly see why Filipinos would have a hard time accepting it as proof, and why only a mentally unstable person would use an untranslated copy of it to prove his case. There are service dogs that most certainly do assist people with his condition...and it's very likely that his dog does that for him. I don't think he should be separated from his dog.

Service Dog Program

Unfortunately with his disability and mental health, the Philippines is just not the place for him to retire. The fight for PWD in the Philippines should be for PWDs (Pilipinos With Disabilities) to fight, not for a man in an, obviously, fragile/delusional state of mind. If you had read the email from Mark's brother, the real Dr. (Jordan) Cohen from the University of Calgary, you can tell that his brother is a very reasonable and caring man who had some good advice that Mark would be very wise to take, though seeing the reply you can tell Mark was completely oblivious at the time he was writing it that the locals are strongly opposed to him.

I hope that the Filipino in Dumaguete get their persona non grata petition passed, not as a personal victory, but as a way to force Mark to a place where he can get the medical care and lifestyle that would be best for his health (Canada). And if Mark reads this, I would really suggest you take your brother's advice concerning your medication, whatever those might be.

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    What are you looking for? All the information in their petition is correct. The only thing I have that isn't linked to Hulagway or the internet anymore is the audio from the hospital.

5. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Ok thanks, I'm just curious. I've been trying to get a handle on what I saw and what he writes. Your last post here and your post on facebook were very insightful and make a lot of sense.

Ron

6. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I agree Wrye, this is something that the Filipino need to campaign in their own good time, and the Philippines is not the place Mr Cohen should be, the sooner he is back home with his Family receiving whatever help it is he requires, the better...

7. sntmig

sntmig DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +121 / 17
    I have no opinion at this time and if and when I do,it will be kept to myself....
    Me a 'vested interest'? NO..As to why Mark sent me all these emails..I do not know..I only forwarded/posted some because I thought some of the members, who seem to be caught up with all this drama,would like some information, that they was not available to them otherwise.

Do you not think, this would be the right thing to Do?
    NO
    We don't want this to get too ugly do we?[/QUOTE]
    NO
    Miguel

8. sntmig

sntmig DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +121 / 17
    New emails today..interesting views from Brother and "best friend"
    I've received the following emails from my best friend and my brother who are very concerned for my welfare.

My best friend.sent me the following message;

---------------------------------------------------
    Mark,

Your communications have been alternately worrisome and reassuring. Which is it? The postings on your Facebook page are disturbing and cause your family to worry for your safety, health and judgment.

You’re in a dangerous country struggling with rebels, revolutionaries, terrorists and a justice system that is erratic and unpredictable at best. Your friends are unlikely to go out on a limb for you. Your family is too far away to be helpful. You could get thrown in jail and not heard from for months and who knows what would happen to Happy if that were to occur. Have you registered with the Canadian Embassy in Manila?

Your reassuring emails are at complete odds with what is posted on your Facebook page? How are we to know what really happened? What happens if we can’t trust what you tell us?

If you are injured or not well, have your doctor contact me by email and with your consent, I can speak with him via Skype. But I am only interested in dealing with facts.

I recognize that for years you have been committed to helping people with your efforts to train and improve access to assistance dogs for PWDs. That is a wonderful contribution to the world and and I hope you can find places that welcome your assistance and are tolerant of criticism of their society’s insensitivity to the needs of the those with disabilities.

Please stay safe and be truthful in your communications. The inconsistencies lead to either worry or avoidance.

---------------------------------

And from my brother:

---------------------------------------------------

I have always and still have concern for your welfare and well being. Steve forwarded me copies of the recent emails from you that leave me very concerned for you. I believe that you have a righteous cause but your actions could easily provoke physical attacks on you and we are too far away to help if needed. I urge you to rethink your strategies in light of the hostile and unenlightened environment you are in. I worry you may have stopped taking your meds and are not connected to any supportive professional services. You have asked me to respond with my thoughts and feelings. Here they are. I know you are trying to reach out to me. I am here.

--------------------------

This is what I replied to them:

---------------------------------

The Filipinos are really nice people. Very friendly. Happy and I have been here 3 weeks and everybody in Dumaguete knows Happy. Everyone we've met liked us,

We've been friendly with everyone and not one person that has personally met us can say anything unkind about us.

Attached is an image of a Jeepney, like a bus-taxi. It's a 40 minute ride from my house to Dumaguete. The jeepney is packed to the brim with people. I get on with Happy, and the ride to Dumaguete becomes a party, a fiesta. Happy and I entertain everybody. Seriously.

The Philippines is not the Wild West. It's a lot smoother here than where I lived in Colombia, Ecuador, Chile or Nicaragua.

My desk and bed are 25 steps to the beach. I can see and hear the ocean from both my desk and my bed. I can live here for half of what it would cost me to live in Montreal.

My front and back doors are open. Really, I am not worried.

Happy spends more time in the ocean than he does in my house,

I am very happy,and feel that I am leading a satisfying life.

Have you seen the video of Happy's birthday on my YouTube channel IIADT?

Tomorrow I'll record our day on video. That should be proof enough for you to not be overly concerned.

On my YouTube channel are two videos from national TV stations in Chile.

The only big problem that I have here is that all of the women say "Oh, how cute!" I say, "Who, me?" They say "No, Not you, the dog!".

Best regards,

Marky and Happy Cohen

9. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    The only comment I can make, he came to the right country but with the wrong approach, he must have a lot of experience, he is doing it for years, why it did not work out this time is his own fault...

10. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    It seems Mr. Cohen cannot even be truthful to his family:

"Happy and I have been here 3 weeks and everybody in Dumaguete knows Happy. Everyone we've met liked us"

He is truly delusional.