Dumaguete Info Search

Spam

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by charlyB, Oct 27, 2022.

1. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,101 / 333
    My wife often buys cans of spam as i like to have it in a sandwich but the other day i took a can out of the cupboard and the price sticker was on it so its the first time i realized it cost 238p for a can thats £3.51 in UK money, when i was a boy in the UK spam was looked upon as a poor mans food.
    I thought does spam come from Ukraine as well so thats why its so expensive but no the spam we get here comes from the US.
    I looked at the UK price on the Asda website and the same can costs £2.85 so not a huge difference.
    Not poor mans food any more.
    Just an observation but it won't stop us from buying it again.:greedy:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    I eat Spam at least once a week. As most things I buy, I pay no attention to the cost. Having said that, now I am curious how much I have been paying for Spam. Will see next time we shop. Below is a link that have some fairly low prices compared to what your paying.
    https://iprice.ph/spam/

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Garcia

Garcia DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +322 / 129

As for actually eating it, no comment, OK just one, all the tea in China.....

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Garcia

Garcia DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +322 / 129
    Though Spam is convenient, easy to use and has a long shelf-life, it's also very high in fat, calories and sodium and low in important nutrients, such as protein, vitamins and minerals. Additionally, it's highly processed and contains preservatives like sodium nitrite that may cause several adverse health effects.

Just saying chaps......(-:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mike_Haddon

Mike_Haddon DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +305 / 31
    I don't mind a bit of spam (either with spam, egg, egg and spam, egg, chips and spam, or egg, spam, chips spam, beans and spam), but refuse to pay through the prices here for it. A regular cheaper substitute here seems to be 'Chinese Style Cooked Pork Luncheon Meat'. What on Earth is that? I certainly don't think the average Chinese person would touch it with a very long chopstick.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Garcia

Garcia DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +322 / 129
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_(food)

Everything you want to know or would rather not know about Special American Processed Meat aka SPAM. Luncheon meat is basically the same. Spam and Luncheon meat are both made up from the stuff they sweep off the floor in the slaughterhouse.

Still each to their own I say, however I would not feed this stuff to my Askal dog Madam Chilli of Bohol

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. OP
    OP
    charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,101 / 333
    I knew that but why is it so expensive ?

8. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. dadof3at1ce

dadof3at1ce DI Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +111 / 11
    I am in the food industry and there is a factory 25 miles from me that produces Spam. It is made by Conagra in Ft. Madison Iowa. I know they do exports to Canada but I don't know if they do all exports or not, maybe my USDA inspector will know since he oversees both plants. He has explained to me the basic process and it is amazing everything and the technology involved to put out product at such a high rate of speed.

Besides the equipment cost has been driven up by wages. It is hard to find people who want to work here, and the plant is starting at roughly $20/hr.

I am sure there are other plants that produce Spam, but it is interesting to have a little knowledge about the product.

10. Garcia

Garcia DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +322 / 129
    Watch "Top 10 Most HARMFUL Foods People Keep EATING

From 20:58 plus of course all the others...

• Agree Agree x 1